The Student Room Group

Are my grades good enough?

So I want to either study natural sciences at Cambridge or UCL or study chemistry or biochemistry at oxford. Are my gcse grades good enough? I got:
2 grade 9s in biology and chemistry
5 grade 8/A*
3 grade 7/A
2 grade 6 (one is in English langauge which I’m upset about)
I feel like the 6 in English Language kinda makes my results weaker only because it’s an important subject that all unis care about, even though I got an 8 in English lit.
Thanks for the advice.
Original post by ibibat
So I want to either study natural sciences at Cambridge or UCL or study chemistry or biochemistry at oxford. Are my gcse grades good enough? I got:
2 grade 9s in biology and chemistry
5 grade 8/A*
3 grade 7/A
2 grade 6 (one is in English langauge which I’m upset about)
I feel like the 6 in English Language kinda makes my results weaker only because it’s an important subject that all unis care about, even though I got an 8 in English lit.
Thanks for the advice.

Yes, the English Language grade is one of the important grades along with Maths and Science.

Your grades are very good though.
As for advice, Oxford looks at GCSEs a lot more than Cambridge - you are more likely to get into Cambridge - they look more at A-level predicted grades and AS results (and personal statement and application etc.), whilst Oxford wants amazing GCSE grades - although your ones are very very good, just the 6 in English. You still have a decent chance of getting an offer from Oxford because your GCSEs are very good.

Best of luck!

Try your best in Year 12 and make a good application! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending