The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Why is James College so expensive?

Looking at all of the colleges, James college is way more expensive than everything else, with the highest price being £184 a room which is £7360 a year.

It is far more expensive than Alcuin, Vanbrugh and Derwent.

Why is the price of £184 justified when the colleges on Hes East like Constantine, Langwith are even cheaper?
Original post by mate102
Looking at all of the colleges, James college is way more expensive than everything else, with the highest price being £184 a room which is £7360 a year.

It is far more expensive than Alcuin, Vanbrugh and Derwent.

Why is the price of £184 justified when the colleges on Hes East like Constantine, Langwith are even cheaper?

That cost must be for catered. The catered factor aside, James is mostly classed as 'standard' accommodation so will have comparable prices to most parts of Goodricke, Alcuin, Halifax and so on. Langwith and Constantine are the two 'premium' colleges so have higher rates. James is only relatively expensive because it will include term-time weekday breakfast and dinners whereas the others are self-catered.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by doctorwhofan98
That cost must be for catered. The catered factor aside, James is mostly classed as 'standard' accommodation so will have comparable prices to most parts of Goodricke, Alcuin, Halifax and so on. Langwith and Constantine are the two 'premium' colleges so have higher rates. James is only relatively expensive because it will include term-time weekday breakfast and dinners whereas the others are self-catered.

Langwith costs are

£147 to £176

Constantine is

£146 to £162 per week

James is

£145 to £184 per week

It seems excessive even though it is catered. I hope people in James don't have a posh reputation?
Original post by mate102
Langwith costs are

£147 to £176

Constantine is

£146 to £162 per week

James is

£145 to £184 per week

It seems excessive even though it is catered. I hope people in James don't have a posh reputation?

I don't think they will, if anything Constantine in particular has a reputation for being posh - unfounded, as it's basically the same price as Langwith, and having lived there Constantine definitely wasn't posh.

Catered is expensive, but many people will have been placed in James having not put it as their first choice. You may well encounter some posh people, but it's not going to be any different to any other college in terms of the socio-demographics of its population.
Original post by mate102
Langwith costs are

£147 to £176

Constantine is

£146 to £162 per week

James is

£145 to £184 per week

I would personally recommend going self-catered at York. Your catered meals are only Monday-Friday of term time and only includes breakfast and evening meal so you still end up paying for lunches and weekend food.

In my opinion, James doesn't have a specific reputation, and especially not a "posh" one. The rooms are economy and standard so are of a lower quality than some of the other colleges and a lot of rooms.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending