The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Uni of York accommodation

Hi, I’ve been accepted to York to study law in September. I’m now looking at accommodation and I want to stay somewhere with an en suite, and somewhere very social. Does anyone have an idea what accommodation best suites this? Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I’ve been accepted to York to study law in September. I’m now looking at accommodation and I want to stay somewhere with an en suite, and somewhere very social. Does anyone have an idea what accommodation best suites this? Thanks!

I recommend campus west, it's the busiest campus, closest to the centre and is where the main lecture halls are. James and Alcuin are very social. Halifax has a great vibe because you live in terraced housing rather than flats so there are always people walking about outside. Also, it's close to heslington village with the pubs and shop.
University of York
York

Hi there,

Congratulations on your offer to study at York! We can't wait to welcome you in September.

The following colleges have en-suite rooms:
- Alcuin (Campus West, self catered only, band 3)
- Anne Lister (Campus East, self-catered only, band 3 - 4)
- Constantine (Campus East, self-catered only, band 4)
- David Kato (Campus East, self-catered only, band 2 - 4)
- Goodricke (Campus East, self-catered only, band 3)
- Langwith (Campus East, self-catered only, band 4)
- James (Campus West, catered only, band 3)
- Vanbrugh (Campus West, catered only, band 3)

Check out our full list of accommodation here.

In terms of living somewhere social, all our of colleges offer the same things in terms of opportunities to meet people - be that through your flat, the college's Freshers' Week events, college sport, or volunteering and leadership opportunities. Each college also has a dedicated support team to help you adjust to university life.

The Law school is based on Campus East, so you might prefer to live in a college there to be close to your course. However, you could also live on Campus West and 'commute' across - there are regular free buses between the campuses (the journey takes ~5 mins), alternatively, you could cycle (~10 mins) or walk (~2 mins).

I hope this helps,

Hannah :smile:
Reply 3
hiya, if you're looking for somewhere social i'd recommend any college on campus west (excluding alcuin, i've heard that college isn't very social from many people). however, because you're doing law, if you wanna stick to east campus (that's where the law department is located), langwith is definitely the most sociable on east. maybe goodricke is second most sociable.
overall if sociability is the most important aspect for you i'd steer clear of constantine and alcuin, and then just narrow down any of your other preferences!

Halifax is one of the more social colleges from what I've heard, which is why I picked it. That being said, my idiot friends ended up in Alcuin and Wentworth, so if you happen to get a Band 3 Ensuite in either of those two (which happen to be quieter since Alcuin is by the Library, and Wentworth is PG only) and want a swap to Halifax, lemme know
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending