The Student Room Group

I don’t know what to do, please help!

To start off, you need to know a bit about me, I am currently re-sitting year 12 (at the same sixth form) due to my various medical conditions. I pass out a lot and the hospital are currently on the path of trialing epilepsy medication which seems to have reduced the amount of times it happens from about twice a day to three/four times a week.

The school that I go to tried to deal with it last year but at the end of March decided that it was too much for them to deal with and told me that I could return in September, regardless of how many times it was happening, but I would need a diagnosis (or at the very least a plan of how to deal with it). So I have started back at school this week, and it was going reasonably well, I had only had two seizures.

On Friday I had a hospital appointment, which had gone really well and I had returned to school in the afternoon, only for one of the office staff to find me in the common room, and tell me to stay where I was because she didn’t want anyone to see her talking to me because she shouldn’t be ‘meddling’ which was really weird. She then went on to say that I should get my parents to write a letter to the school saying that my friends can deal with me, as I have been labelled as too ‘time consuming.’ She wouldn’t tell me who said it or whether it was a formal complaint or just something she overheard. She also said that if I didn’t it was looking likely that I was going to be kicked out of school again.

I have really bad anxiety and now I feel like I can’t go and talk to any of my teachers (one especially because she has been there for me since I was in year 10 and has been helping me deal with everything that is going on) because I don’t want to push anything.

I love school and don’t think I can take being kicked out again, I feel physically sick about the fact that someone deems me having epilepsy (something that I don’t even control!) should mean that I’m not worth a good education.

I don’t know what to do and whether I should say something to my head of year or someone else, but I don’t dare even talk to my teachers now.
Hello dear

First of all what you have is something very common and a lot of people have epilepsy , u need to know that it's not u who chose to have it , and u don't need to blame yourself every time , since u r starting again , and the meetings u have with your doctor r going fine , so I suggest to just enjoy your year and have fun , if u really have true loving friends then they'll stand by your side even if not , everyone in here is your friend , and for anxiety and stuff you can talk to your parents and ask for their help
Reply 2
I can understand why the office personnel told you those things. I know you would like to return to school but do you and your parents have a plan B? Is it possible to do home study? If the school kicks you out again, it's not because they think you are not worthy of a good education. You have to understand it from their perspective, too. I don't mean to make you feel bad but unless you can dramatically increase the number of seizures you have, the seizures you have will continue to interrupt the class. They did tell you the first time that your situation was overwhelming the school that was why they told you to stop coming. Does the school have someone ( a school nurse, perhaps) to help you when you have seizures? You mentioned in the beginning of your post that they said you could come back to school with a diagnosis and a plan to handle your seizures. Did you come up with both that satisfied the school? What did your doctor recommend? Perhaps you can talk to a support group for people with epilepsy. They might have programs, funding, other resources to help find a way for you to continue your schooling. You can start here.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending