The Student Room Group

A school in Georgia is reinstating paddling to discipline students

Fake news? Well I'm still hoping it's a joke.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1760204/Georgia-school-reintroducing-paddling-form-punishment.html
https://twitter.com/i/moments/1039504616185114625

Is this reasonable? Will this approach even work? Do you think the UK should do the same?

Scroll to see replies

Finally the US does something I agree with. The UK should absolutely bring back corporal punishment.
Original post by Guru Jason
Finally the US does something I agree with. The UK should absolutely bring back corporal punishment.

Can you explain why you agree with this? Why do you believe that children should be subjected to this?
Original post by rainclouds-
Can you explain why you agree with this? Why do you believe that children should be subjected to this?

Personal experience leads me to believe this works. And 'subjected' is a bit of a misleading choice of words. Its no worse than grounding and taking away privileges of children.
Personal experience leads me to believe this works. And 'subjected' is a bit of a misleading choice of words. Its no worse than grounding and taking away privileges of children.

Is it misleading? It's not exactly pleasant. Children can't consent and it is a decision made by parents for children.

I am fascinated by people who believe corporal punishment is effective - especially on children - so if you are willing to share your reasoning I'd be interested. Do you think personal experience speaks for all? I believe grounding and taking away privileges are effective strategies but paddling isn't.
Original post by rainclouds-
Is it misleading? It's not exactly pleasant. Children can't consent and it is a decision made by parents for children.

I am fascinated by people who believe corporal punishment is effective - especially on children - so if you are willing to share your reasoning I'd be interested. Do you think personal experience speaks for all? I believe grounding and taking away privileges are effective strategies but paddling isn't.

Lol, it's a punishment. Its not meant to be pleasant. It would defeat the purpose otherwise. Children don't consent to being grounded and it takes away their freedom but you don't seem concerned about that. I don't say my personal experiences speak for all but I've yet to see it fail.
Reply 6
If a teacher touched my kid they'd be finding that teacher rotting in a field ten years later.
Doesn't work, instils fear rather than any form of discipline or respect, and has the potential to increase the risk of mental health disorders in later life (just like other forms of child abuse, see: a multitude of research on the matter). Stupid idea but hey, not surprising it comes from a red state.
Reply 8
are parents so lazy nowadays that they can't just paddle their kids themselves instead of having a stranger do it?
Reply 9

up to what age?
Original post by H20 III
are parents so lazy nowadays that they can't just paddle their kids themselves instead of having a stranger do it?

I rigged up an old exercise bike, a dog harness and a couple of table tennis bats, skeps a good'n.
13 or 14 maybe?
When I saw the title I honestly beleived it was referring to the country of Georgia rather than the state.
13 or 14 maybe?

cool! I'd rather my parents spanked me instead of a teacher though.
Lol, it's a punishment. Its not meant to be pleasant. It would defeat the purpose otherwise. Children don't consent to being grounded and it takes away their freedom but you don't seem concerned about that. I don't say my personal experiences speak for all but I've yet to see it fail.

subject (verb) past tense: subjected; past participle: subjected
cause or force someone or something to undergo (a particular experience or form of treatment, typically an unwelcome or unpleasant one)

My point was the word subjected is not misleading.

Of course. These are strategies that allow a parent and child to communicate properly. Children can understand that bad behaviour results in consequences that don't involve physical behaviour. Schools can use many other ways of disciplining a child. Grounding allows children to understand why their privileges have been restricted - paddling evokes fear in a child who lacks the maturity to understand what is happening to them. It is abusive and I still don't understand why you believe it is effective.

If we're talking about personal experiences then when I was hit as a child I didn't understand what was happening to me. I still don't understand why my parents believed these punishments worked. I felt helpless and I remember not understanding what I did wrong.

Likewise I have yet to see it succeed. And I'm not referring to the "I was hit as a child and I turned out pretty damn fine" people.
Original post by Andrew97
When I saw the title I honestly believed it was referring to the country of Georgia rather than the state.

yeahh I realised I should've typed Georgia, America or "school in America" but I was hoping users would understand what I meant :tongue:
Well I’d like to see them try
Any teacher that lays a hand on any child of mine is going to experience some physical abuse of their own.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

haha yeah this was all over twitter it makes me giggle so much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending