The Student Room Group

A levels condundrum

I am looking to study medicine at university (not Oxbridge)

My GCSEs are as follows:
Chemistry - 8
Biology - 9
Ceramics - 9
Physics - 8
English Language - 9
English Literature - 8
RS - 8
Art - 7
Maths - 8

Currently I am taking Chemistry, Biology, Maths, and combined arts (ceramics and textiles) at A level. I cannot drop combined arts because of both my scholarship and how much I enjoy it, and have chosen the theme of medicine in order to make it into a sort of research project as well as an art project.

My question is this:

Should I take all 4 A levels all the way through, or should I drop one (probably maths) - would dropping it disadvantage me for university as my third option would not be a science?

Also, because I have only taken 9 GCSEs, will this disadvantage me? Or are my results enough for that not to matter?

*oops, I spelt conundrum wrong :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Your GCSE grades are really good, congratulations, a lot look at top 8 or 9 anyway as an equaliser; so the number is not an issue. In terms of A levels, it is quite dependent on how well you will cope. Some people find 4 A levels easy; however, for others it reduces the quality of the grades. Universities only care about 3, majority don't even look at the fourth, so it is better getting say A* AA than even AAAA because they look at the highest 3. I assume you are Year 12, so you can stay doing 4 at the moment and see how well you feel. Maybe discuss with a tutor, but it is personal preference. Biology and Chemistry are both very useful for medicine; however, some (not sure how many or where) do accept just one. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest