The Student Room Group

Gcse revision?

When should I start revision and for how long each day?
Reply 1
I'm confused about the same thing Sidra XD I also know someone with your name from England XD
Reply 2
Well, i completed my igces last yr and i was just as confused as you guys. i later realized that there were days where i spent 9 hours studying and still found a 30 min session more productive. although that might not help, its just what i found. i tried to create timetables but those didnt work out for me cuz i just didnt feel like doing a certain subject at a certain time. so instead i made a checklist of things i needed to do by the end of the week. I made this a full fledged thing around a couple months or so before my mock exams, which were about 4 months before the actual exams.

before my mocks, i really wanted to test myself to see how much i already know, so i went right into past papers, flipping through textbooks only if i was completely stumped and had trouble understanding the mark scheme too. before my gces, i did ONLY past papers cuz at that point i did know everything and i literally studied from the mark schemes because wording and key points are important. found out that i wasnt the only one, my teachers suggested taht a couple weeks later too. during the days of the exams, i only studied from condensed notes like: z notes. carrying my heavy textbooks around proved to be useless for last minute revision because after following the above mentioned i only needed to refresh my memory.

Good Luck Guys! Hope this helped!
Hi,
I would say there's no perfect time to start. You might think starting right now is the option, but I would prioritise and get your notes completed, keep on top of homework etc.
If you're in Year 11, I'd start revising for mocks whenever you have the time, but make it effective revision. Don't do flat-out hours at this point in any case, just make sure you understand the work and pay attention to things you naturally struggle with (I started early with the sciences because I struggled with them more!)

If you're talking about your real GCSEs, I started revising properly around February half-term time. I wanted an early start on science so around that Feb time I began making little colourful notes for each science topic. Even then, it's quite hard to do solid amounts every day because you're still learning new content/receiving homework so don't stress too much if you aren't getting loads and loads done every single day.
As for hours - I've heard you shouldn't structure your revision hour-wise and I do agree. However, when I was revising for GCSEs, I unfortunately had the 'hours' mindset :s-smilie:
Remember: it's all personal to you. For me, I only really remember the Easter holidays which was about a month before my exams started and I was doing around 5-8 hours a day - it really varied. Although I came out super happy with my results in the end, I will say I went about revision entirely the wrong way at first. I thought I had to do 2 and 3 hour blocks of revision but this was totally wrong for me. The method I went with in the end was half-hour slots with 5-10 minute breaks. Half an hour of productive work was a LOT better for me than 2 hour blocks and getting tired, overly stressed and distracted in between!
Please remember this is what I did and you might work out something early that works for you! I would suggest doing small amounts frequently, and then when it comes to the 'hardcore revision' bit it won't seem such a mountain anymore. :smile:
I started revising in the summer holidays between year 10 and 11. I have a revision timetable and revise everyday, on weekdays I revise the subjects that I had lessons in on that day and at weekends I revise every subject for an hour. I did one GCSEs in year 10, I got a 6 in English lit and I was disappointed with myself as I personally wanted a 7. So, for me that motivated me to revise more and get my personal targets!! Good luck x

Quick Reply

Latest