The Student Room Group

Someone smashed my car window :(((

Just this ONCE I parked on the road over-night and woke up to the front passengers seat completely smashed in and one of the back seat windows smashed as well. Dents and scratches all over. Thankfully there was nothing too “valuable” in there, but they still took everything from the boot and the glove compartment. Me and my brother are both insured on this car it’s his second and my first car. My dad says to get it repaired but idk if that’s the right thing to do?? There’s no point in “looking for” who ever did it really is there ? ..sad times guys
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What car was it ? And what was the most valuable thing they took ? Depending on the car it might cost a lot to repair
Original post by Blackpanther93
What car was it ? And what was the most valuable thing they took ? Depending on the car it might cost a lot to repair

Volkswagen polo. I’m not sure tbh my brother said he left his stone island jacket in there so maybe that ? There was also my fake Louis Vuitton makeup bag with makeup inside it which was gone lol. we weren’t too bothered about them though it’s mainly just the car Im annoyed about. And yes that’s what I was thinking
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Wooord
Volkswagen polo. I’m not sure tbh my brother said he left his stone island jacket in there so maybe that ? There was also my fake Louis Vuitton makeup bag with makeup inside it which was gone lol. we weren’t too bothered about them though it’s mainly just the car Im annoyed about. And yes that’s what I was thinking

lol they mustve been pissed when they realised theres only makeup in it.

anyway, unless there are cctv cameras in your area, I highly doubt you'll catch them
Original post by Secretnerd123
lol they mustve been pissed when they realised theres only makeup in it.

anyway, unless there are cctv cameras in your area, I highly doubt you'll catch them

I know haha and when they realize its fake the makeup inside probably cost more than the actual bag. We do have cctv but doesn’t show where the car was parked :frown:(
That’s mad. I would be pretty angry if my £100 jacket was stolen
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Wooord
Just this ONCE I parked on the road over-night and woke up to the front passengers seat completely smashed in and one of the back seat windows smashed as well. Dents and scratches all over. Thankfully there was nothing too “valuable” in there, but they still took everything from the boot and the glove compartment. Me and my brother are both insured on this car it’s his second and my first car. My dad says to get it repaired but idk if that’s the right thing to do?? There’s no point in “looking for” who ever did it really is there ? ..sad times guys

It's worth reporting just in case anybody did see it happen or if anyone notices a jacket being up for sale.

Apart from that then just see how much it'll cost and if it's worth fixing.
Original post by Wooord

If you practiced your theory test you’d know to only park in a well lit area
Original post by DrawTheLine
It's worth reporting just in case anybody did see it happen or if anyone notices a jacket being up for sale.

Apart from that then just see how much it'll cost and if it's worth fixing.

Yeah I will be reporting it the jacket wasn’t in great condition so I doubt they would sell it. But yes, my uncle said it would cost a few hundreds so I’m leaving it up to my brother to sort out now. Thank you
Original post by Student1191

Well lit areas don’t stop thieves from thieving
Original post by Wooord
Well lit areas don’t stop thieves from thieving

Less likely because they’ll be easier to identify on cctv
Reply 11

Can you quote the section of the Highway Code you're talking about?
Original post by Wooord
I know haha and when they realize its fake the makeup inside probably cost more than the actual bag. We do have cctv but doesn’t show where the car was parked :frown:(

I once had a window smashed in for a Subway sandwich that was left on the dashboard.

Oh yeah it was in broad daylight while parked at a Tesco.
Original post by Alfissti
I once had a window smashed in for a Subway sandwich that was left on the dashboard.

Oh yeah it was in broad daylight while parked at a Tesco.

Damn no way ahaha as if they thought it would be easier to get to that instead of buying a new one
Less likely because they’ll be easier to identify on cctv

Op said the cctv cameras don’t pick up where the car was parked
Why do folk always think thieves are like vampires and die in daylight? Surely tit works to their favour also? they can see what they're doing and the police stand out far more :P
Original post by StriderHort
Why do folk always think thieves are like vampires and die in daylight? Surely tit works to their favour also? they can see what they're doing and the police stand out far more :P

Exactly ahaha there are so many instances where these things happen in broad daylight. If they want something they WILL take it, I’m sure they were dressed accordingly to the job
Reply 17
Exact same happened to me, window smashed and my laptop stolen. Had to get it repaired myself, laptop was a company laptop so wasn't important.

It's a tricky predicament because if you claim on your insurance your premiums rise for criminal damage. I'd say get it repaired and take the hit, absolutely ridiculous I know but it's one of those things. Just don't leave anything in plain sight and probably go for parking in an open area.
Original post by xDron3
Exact same happened to me, window smashed and my laptop stolen. Had to get it repaired myself, laptop was a company laptop so wasn't important.

It's a tricky predicament because if you claim on your insurance your premiums rise for criminal damage. I'd say get it repaired and take the hit, absolutely ridiculous I know but it's one of those things. Just don't leave anything in plain sight and probably go for parking in an open area.

Yeah it is ridiculous. Either way we will be spending a few hundreds. We’re getting the windows replaced but we can’t do much about the dents or scratches unless we’re willing to replace the parts which I think is pointless
Was the back window a bonded window (doesn't open at all) or one that goes up and down like the front doors? If it's not bonded in then they're very easy to replace yourself, it just means taking the door apart a little bit which anyone with some spanners and a couple of YouTube how-tos can do. Even if it is bonded then you can do the front window yourself to save a bit of cash and then get a windscreen company to do the rear window.

When this happened to me AutoGlass quoted me over a hundred quid to replace the small quarter light window in the rear door of my old Golf. I went down to the scrappies and picked up a bit of glass from a Golf down there and fitted it myself, all for about 20 quid. Typical Swansea thieves broke in and stole my (mostly broken) stereo but missed my iPod classic in the glove box and satnav in the cubby in front of the gear stick. The picture below shows me half way through repairing it, and you can just about see the replacement glass on the roof of the car about to go in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending