The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU) Applicant Chat & FAQ Thread 2019

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Manchester Metropolitan University
Hi! :hello:

Hope you enjoyed our Open Day!

Have you got any specific questions about our Chemistry course? I may be able to help. :smile:

Rebecca

Yes. One of the things said in the website study section is "independent study"?
What makes it up as "independent study"?
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Original post by LonelyStarr
Yes. One of the things said in the website study section is "independent study"?
What makes it up as "independent study"?

Independent study is time you spend outside of lectures, seminars and workshops, working on your assignments, researching topics and revising for exams.

So for example, in the final year of the Chemistry degree the year consists of 50% lectures, seminars or similar and 50% independent study. So if your lectures, seminars etc came to 20 hours per week, we would expect you to spend the same amount of time studying independently. This is just a guide though; some students will choose to spend less time studying interdependently and some will choose to spend more.

I hope this helps :smile:

Rebecca
Hi,
I am applying to psychology at MMU as it is my favourite university that I have visited and I love Manchester! On UCAS the entry requirements are stated to be 112-120 points, whereas on your website it is 120 points upwards. I have 112 UCAS points, with grades A*,C,D in Psychology, Maths and Chemistry respectively - do you recon I still have a chance of getting in, is it worth applying? Also, all the other universities that I am applying to are 112 points, would you say my actual grades (D in Chemistry) would affect my application despite achieving the points requirements?
Thank you
Hi, I've accepted my unconditional offer for MMU and am excited to start next year :smile: I'm just wondering whether I should have received an email from the university to confirm my place? If not, when is the earliest I'll hear from MMU regarding the applicants day? Thank you
Original post by alevelava
Hi,
I am applying to psychology at MMU as it is my favourite university that I have visited and I love Manchester! On UCAS the entry requirements are stated to be 112-120 points, whereas on your website it is 120 points upwards. I have 112 UCAS points, with grades A*,C,D in Psychology, Maths and Chemistry respectively - do you recon I still have a chance of getting in, is it worth applying? Also, all the other universities that I am applying to are 112 points, would you say my actual grades (D in Chemistry) would affect my application despite achieving the points requirements?
Thank you

Hi,

I've checked with our Admissions Team and they have confirmed that the entry requirements on UCAS for Psychology are incorrect and they are in the process of updating them. As our prospectus states, we are looking for 120 UCAS points which means unfortunately, with 112 UCAS points, you would not be eligible to apply. I'm so sorry!

You would be eligible for our Foundation Year, if you wish to consider this option? Alternatively, you could try ringing us at clearing when it opens to see if we can take an application from you then. However, please be aware that in the past few years Psychology has been very popular so has filled up before clearing, so the chances of it entering into clearing for 2019 are very slim.

Rebecca
Original post by daniella0209
Hi, I've accepted my unconditional offer for MMU and am excited to start next year :smile: I'm just wondering whether I should have received an email from the university to confirm my place? If not, when is the earliest I'll hear from MMU regarding the applicants day? Thank you

Congratulations on your offer!! :banana:
You should receive an email from us with your offer letter attached. The offer emails are sent out in batches, so there can be a bit of delay between receiving your offer on UCAS and receiving your offer via email. If it has been a while since you have received your offer on UCAS, and you still haven't received the offer email, then please contact us on 0161 247 6969 and we will look into this for you.

We don't send another email once you have confirmed your place with us. The next communication you will receive from us after the offer email will be in the new year, inviting you to book on to an applicant visit day. After the visit days, we will then start contacting you about welcome week and getting ready for starting in September :smile:

We look forward to seeing you in September, and if you have any questions about your course or about MMU just give me a shout :biggrin:

Rebecca
Reply 66
I have an interview for Healthcare Science with you guys this week, are a group of applicants invited to one time or is it an individual interview day? Thanks! (And is it formal wear for interviews? :/ )
Original post by as25
I have an interview for Healthcare Science with you guys this week, are a group of applicants invited to one time or is it an individual interview day? Thanks! (And is it formal wear for interviews? :/ )

Hi :smile:

Glad to hear you've applied to MMU! Interviews for our BSc (Hons) Healthcare Science are individual, and we tend to encourage formal interview wear. We would recommend contacting our Science and Engineering Admissions Team on 0161 247 5921 or [email protected] for any further info you need on the interview.

Let us know if you need help with anything else :smile:

Matt
Original post by KaynIsAble
Hi All!

Anyone know how quick MMU are at making offers, my current college have said that they are one of the slower replies. I got all my other four offers within 24 hours of applying through UCAS! However MMU is by far my number 1 one choice, anyone had offers? I've applied for Human Resource Management.

I got my offer after 4 days :smile:
Good luck!
Original post by Deah Khinda
I got my offer after 4 days :smile:
Good luck!

Congratulations on your offer!! :thumbsup:
I got my offer in November :smile:
Original post by KaynIsAble
I got my offer in November :smile:

Congrats on the offer!! :danceboy:
Reply 72
Hello i'm beth

What course are you applying for? Events Managment Bsc(hons)
Will you be moving away or staying at home? Moving away as i live in china right now
Are you visiting us at an Open Day? Sadly no.

I have two questions, when is the best time to look for accomadation and will Mmu give offers on weekends? :smile:
Original post by beezzy
Hello i'm beth

What course are you applying for? Events Managment Bsc(hons)
Will you be moving away or staying at home? Moving away as i live in china right now
Are you visiting us at an Open Day? Sadly no.

I have two questions, when is the best time to look for accomadation and will Mmu give offers on weekends? :smile:

Hi Beth :hello:

If you are made an unconditional offer, then you can register for accommodation from the 4th March. Once you have registered, you will then be invited to select your room in April.

If you are made an conditional offer, then you can register for accommodation from the 1st April. You will then be invited to select your room.

You can see the timeline for applying for accommodation at https://www2.mmu.ac.uk/accommodation/how-to-apply/.

Our Admissions Team do not work weekends, so offers are not processed on a Saturday or Sunday. However, UCAS can sometimes take 24 hours to update, so if an offer is made Friday, then it may show up on your UCAS Track on Saturday. :smile:

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions just let me know.

Rebecca
Original post by Manchester Metropolitan University
Hi everyone! :wavey:

Welcome to the 2019 applicant thread for Manchester Met.

Feel free to introduce yourself and chat to other applicants. To get started you might want to answer some of the following......

What course are you applying for?
Will you be moving away or staying at home?
Are you visiting us at an Open Day?

We are happy to help with any questions you may have about studying with us, so please do not hesitate to ask!

You can also find some really useful information about the university by visiting the links below :cyber:

We look forward to hearing from you, and good luck with your applications! :smile:

MMU TSR Team

Hi,
I have recently received offers from all five of my university choices to study English and Creative Writing. One of which, from your institution, states the following: "We have identified you as an exceptional applicant for this course. We may be able to make the offer unconditional before you complete relevant exams".
According to several forums, this type of conditional offer is known as an incentivised offer, suggesting that when/if you select the university as your firm choice, the offer will be changed to an unconditional. I'd like some clarification as to whether this would be the case if i selected Manchester Metropolitan as my firm choice.
Many Thanks.
Original post by bradleygrindell
Hi,
I have recently received offers from all five of my university choices to study English and Creative Writing. One of which, from your institution, states the following: "We have identified you as an exceptional applicant for this course. We may be able to make the offer unconditional before you complete relevant exams".
According to several forums, this type of conditional offer is known as an incentivised offer, suggesting that when/if you select the university as your firm choice, the offer will be changed to an unconditional. I'd like some clarification as to whether this would be the case if i selected Manchester Metropolitan as my firm choice.
Many Thanks.

Hi,

Firstly, congratulations on your offer!! :h:

You should've received an email from our Admissions Team, giving further details about your offer. If you haven't received this, then I would give them a ring on 0161 247 5922 or an email at [email protected]. They will be able to confirm whether your offer will be made unconditional if you make us your firm choice, and will be able to send you the email with the further details.

Rebecca
Reply 76
Hi, I had my interview at Man Met on the 5th Dec. When will I hear back? Thanks!
Original post by as25
Hi, I had my interview at Man Met on the 5th Dec. When will I hear back? Thanks!

Hi, which course were you interviewed for?

Rebecca
Hiii
What course are you applying for? International Business and Marketing
Will you be moving away or staying at home? I will be moving to Manchester with my partner; currently living in London.
Are you visiting us at an Open Day? I attented an Open Day in the begining of November and really enjoyed it.

I got a conditional offer saying ''We have identified you as an exceptional applicant for this course. We may be able to make the offer unconditional before you complete relevant exams''. It's been almost 2 weeks and I haven't received any further information. I emailed the admissions office and they replied within a minute, saying ''Further information regarding the Unconditional Offer Scheme will be emailed to you directly in the next week or so please keep an eye out in your inbox for further correspondence from us''. I really hope they can make the offer unconditional if I firm it. Has it happened to somebody else?
Thank you.
Hi,
I've applied for early years and early childhood (at least I think that's what it's called at mmu). How long do you take to give out offers? I applied on 23rd November. I'm also on the mmu first gen scheme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending