The Student Room Group

How accurate are shows like skins?

Most of these shows about teenagers are supposed to be accurate and realistic, do you agree with this?
Skins for example is meant to be about the lives of "ordinary" sixth form students, and shows like the OC etc.
Soo do you think that these shows are accurante portrayals of teenage life.
Personally I dont. But the papers go on about it, for instance when skins first started how it was showing us how teenagers lives are nowadays, and this is how we all live. So surely this just fuels to some peoples perceptions of what teenagers are "really" like?
Lets discuss!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Skins isn't. Skins is just a load of **** and all the emo teenagers want to believe that their life could be something vaguley resembling that, but it's not.
not really, i watch, but no way dose it show teenage life
Reply 3
Skins is like the crazy highlights. Of course it leaves out the sea of normality. The second series seems to have gone off a bit, but the first series had parts that made you think "Hmm, yeah".
My life is EXACTLY like those teenagers from Skins. Just the same.
Nearly everyone from my college watched skins and i would say the main reason is because its not like real life at all.
Reply 6
34 person
Skins isn't. Skins is just a load of **** and all the emo teenagers want to believe that their life could be something vaguley resembling that, but it's not.

:ditto: Although I imagine it's slightly more realistic than the OC
dancingshoes10
Nearly everyone from my college watched skins and i would say the main reason is because its not like real life at all.

Exactly. If it was so amazingly accurate people would find it boring because it's just like their normal lives.
I think there were aspects in the first series some of my mates could relate to, not me though. And the second series has completely lost the plot. I think shows like The Hills and Laguna Beach, on the other hand, are very very accurate.
Reply 9
Skins could be real life but it isn't. There may be some young people who do what they do but I doubt very much that it resembles your every day adolescent. I don't really watch it but I have heard that some of the story lines are good and can deal with issues affecting many of us e.g. sex, relationships, sexuality, dating, drugs, alcohol, partying, eating disorders, bereavement etc. Soaps tend not to resemble everyday life because life can be quite mundane and samey… they want us to think that our lives could be like the lives on TV…
Reply 10
I've only seen one episode and found it crap...definitely not realistic.
I don't think all of those people would be friends with eachother. They are too diverse. In a big 6th form they would be far more cliquey, I think.
Reply 12
It's based on a true story....of my life (Tony) and all my friends:biggrin:
Skins is exaggerated, of course, but the basics are right. More so than crap like The OC.

The second series has been totally OTT, but that, I suspect, was the writers' attempt not to be branded 'formulaic' in their plot structure. But, as someone else posted above, the first series was brilliant.

Skins does leave out a lot of the boring dreary stuff. But I have been to insane parties like the ones they show, albeit not every weekend, and I know people like the characters, I know people who've had their problems. It just seems unbelievable because everything is so condensed.
Reply 14
I watched the first episode of Skins and was absolutely disgusted at that being a 'real' portrayal of teenage life.
I sound like an old biddy, but if that's how teenagers are living now, then we are going to the dogs :frown:
Theres realistic parts, but it's full-on, constantly full of events (obviously, to make the show interesting and entertaining).
Reply 16
Do you think anyone on Skins would come on a forum like TSR?

No. Except maybe for Sid.
If it was accurate, noone would watch it.
nosnibor
Do you think anyone on Skins would come on a forum like TSR?

No. Except maybe for Sid.

No, not Sid. He's so lazy. Maybe Jal.
I think Skins could easily be based on real life, but it is often beyond reality.

There are times when watching I think 'oh thats happened to me' or 'oh thats happened to someone I know' but the majority of the show is nothing like my life.

Latest