The Student Room Group

What do Graduate-Entry Medicine usually do after their degree?

Hi,
I want to do GEM and then complete a Masters in the future but I was just wondering (to be aware) what GEM grads tend to do after graduating, in terms of their career. Do graduates tend to apply for undergraduate Medicine or do some graduates continue further training or do some graduates apply for a job? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I’m dying out of curiousity. I also tried researching this myself but nothing much came up. Any advice would be wonderful.
Thank you.

P.S JUST REALISED MY QUESTION DID NOT MAKE SENSE! APOLOGIES!
I'm not sure that I follow you.

GEM (graduate entry medicine) is a medicine degree taken by people who already have another undergraduate degree. Completing GEM means that you're qualified as a doctor. You then apply for doctor jobs via a national system a bit like UCAS, and commence a series of jobs for postgraduate training leading towards a specialty. You're a qualified doctor and receive a salary as soon as you finish GEM at university and commence your first job.

There will be a small number of people who already have an undergraduate degree, who will choose to do "undergraduate medicine", ie the 5 or 6 year course predominantly studied by school leavers, rather than GEM. This is financially more difficult due to fee arrangements, but not as intense as the 4 year GEM.

GEM and "undergraduate medicine" both mean that you're a qualified doctor, you don't have to do both.

Why do you want to do a master's? A master's isn't obligatory to be a doctor, and many people don't have one. It's not an automatic step in postgraduate training, although there will bbe some people that do them.
Original post by junior.doctor
I'm not sure that I follow you.

GEM (graduate entry medicine) is a medicine degree taken by people who already have another undergraduate degree. Completing GEM means that you're qualified as a doctor. You then apply for doctor jobs via a national system a bit like UCAS, and commence a series of jobs for postgraduate training leading towards a specialty. You're a qualified doctor and receive a salary as soon as you finish GEM at university and commence your first job.

There will be a small number of people who already have an undergraduate degree, who will choose to do "undergraduate medicine", ie the 5 or 6 year course predominantly studied by school leavers, rather than GEM. This is financially more difficult due to fee arrangements, but not as intense as the 4 year GEM.

GEM and "undergraduate medicine" both mean that you're a qualified doctor, you don't have to do both.

Why do you want to do a master's? A master's isn't obligatory to be a doctor, and many people don't have one. It's not an automatic step in postgraduate training, although there will bbe some people that do them.

Ohhh thank you so much, you cleared up a lot of misunderstandings I had in my head. I got told by a friend today that you have to do an undergraduate in medicine after GEM as it does not “apparently” qualify you as a Doctor, which confused me even more. Also, yes I’m aware that doing Masters is not essential but it’s just something I have personally wanted to do. (I am interested in MSc Neuroscience).
Original post by futuregemgrad
Ohhh thank you so much, you cleared up a lot of misunderstandings I had in my head. I got told by a friend today that you have to do an undergraduate in medicine after GEM as it does not “apparently” qualify you as a Doctor, which confused me even more. Also, yes I’m aware that doing Masters is not essential but it’s just something I have personally wanted to do. (I am interested in MSc Neuroscience).

No problem. Your friend is incorrect. you EITHER do undergraduate medicine, or GEM - not both. Both degrees mean that you're a qualified doctor at the end, with the same qualification.
Original post by futuregemgrad

Gradaute entry medicine IS undergraduate medicine. It's the same qualification (i.e. a bachelors degree in medicine and surgery which allows you start work as a junior doctor) as the 5 or 6 year degrees, it's just that it's only open to students who have already completed another degree. It's not a postgraduate or pre-undergraduate qualification.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending