The Student Room Group

University transfer

Hi, i wanted to ask if its possible to apply to an undergraduates course whilst studying one. I have currently applied for biomed but now want to apply to med, i’m unsure if i’m going to get the ucat for med which i aim to do at the end of september but if i do then i’d want to apply for med for next year but i’m worried i wont get in as it’s a very competitive course and i wouldn’t want to limit the amount i can apply by dropping out of biomed as i could apply graduates at the end of the 3 years.
Original post by Sunshinesparkle
Hi, i wanted to ask if its possible to apply to an undergraduates course whilst studying one. I have currently applied for biomed but now want to apply to med, i’m unsure if i’m going to get the ucat for med which i aim to do at the end of september but if i do then i’d want to apply for med for next year but i’m worried i wont get in as it’s a very competitive course and i wouldn’t want to limit the amount i can apply by dropping out of biomed as i could apply graduates at the end of the 3 years.

Yes, you can apply whilst you're at uni. You'd just apply in the usual way - via UCAS.

Don't forget to include your current uni in the education section of your UCAS application, assuming you've started there by the time you submit the new application.
Oh okay thats great, thank you so much!
Original post by Sunshinesparkle
Oh okay thats great, thank you so much!

While it’s allowed it’s not accepted by many med schools. The med deadline would mean you would be applying before you were more than a couple of weeks into your course so that isn’t a great look.

Do you think you’ll have the grades for med this year? If so then it might be worth looking into whether any med schools are in Extra or Clearing. There’s usually more information in the medicine forum.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
While it’s allowed it’s not accepted by many med schools. The med deadline would mean you would be applying before you were more than a couple of weeks into your course so that isn’t a great look.
Do you think you’ll have the grades for med this year? If so then it might be worth looking into whether any med schools are in Extra or Clearing. There’s usually more information in the medicine forum.

Do you know how long i have to reject my firm uni offer after results day, as i would only be able to apply for med after ucat which i aim to do start of september
Original post by k.123.k
Do you know how long i have to reject my firm uni offer after results day, as i would only be able to apply for med after ucat which i aim to do start of september

If your goal is medicine your best option if you didn't get an offer this year is to see if you have any luck in clearing, and if not take a gap year and reapply. As above, some medical schools discourage or even disallow applications from students currently on a degree elsewhere, and if your alternative is to complete the degree and apply to graduate entry medicine, be aware that GEM is considerably more competitive than standard entry medicine.

There will almost certainly not be any medical school places left in clearing by September. Usually you will need to have already taken the UCAT to apply through clearing - you also will need to have already completed the relevant work experience etc.

Not simply taking a gap year to (re)apply is the worst possible choice if your goal is medicine. You simply make it that much less likely you will actually get into a medicine course than if you just took the gap year.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
If your goal is medicine your best option if you didn't get an offer this year is to see if you have any luck in clearing, and if not take a gap year and reapply. As above, some medical schools discourage or even disallow applications from students currently on a degree elsewhere, and if your alternative is to complete the degree and apply to graduate entry medicine, be aware that GEM is considerably more competitive than standard entry medicine.
There will almost certainly not be any medical school places left in clearing by September. Usually you will need to have already taken the UCAT to apply through clearing - you also will need to have already completed the relevant work experience etc.
Not simply taking a gap year to (re)apply is the worst possible choice if your goal is medicine. You simply make it that much less likely you will actually get into a medicine course than if you just took the gap year.
Yh that makes sense, thank you all for advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending