The Student Room Group

Alternatives to A Levels

Hello. I'm currently a 6th form student studying in Northern Ireland. After a month of A Level's I've realized I've made a mistake. Although I am capable of doing them, A Levels are not for me. I don't want to waste the next two years doing something I have no interest in.
I'm interested in Crimeology and would want to pursue a job in it. I was wondering if I have any options in alternatives to A Levels at this point in the year?
Any advice much appreciated
Reply 1
I do believe that a good step may be to consider public sector work such as applying to the police force, because there is a need for detectives and crime scene analysers at the moment. I'm not sure of the requirements, but if you meet them, you'll have a job similar to what you want to do
Reply 2
Original post by Student292901
Hello. I'm currently a 6th form student studying in Northern Ireland. After a month of A Level's I've realized I've made a mistake. Although I am capable of doing them, A Levels are not for me. I don't want to waste the next two years doing something I have no interest in.
I'm interested in Crimeology and would want to pursue a job in it. I was wondering if I have any options in alternatives to A Levels at this point in the year?
Any advice much appreciated

This isn't advice to any specific routes into a specific job; it's more of a moral booster. Don't get down if people tell you the straightforward path is the only path. Because, it isn't the only path.

I left my A-Levels during AS, because I hated it, I got and E in all of my AS results as a result of this. I'm now 22 and reasonably successful:
- I became a qualified (not chartered) accountant and have 4 years experience in the area.
- I was offered a place at the Uni of Liverpool on a BSc in Computer Science, which I declined.
- I left being an accountant to pursue a MSc in International Finance which I'll complete in the next week.
- I've been accepted for an interview for a Grade 6 position with the Civil Service, in an investigations role.

If I can do it you surely can! I wish you luck in the future!

Quick Reply

Latest