The Student Room Group

Art port-folio troubles.

Currently the time is getting nearer and nearer to myself starting university, and there is a sort of problem I have. I want to apply for an art course; which requires me to submit a port-folio of my work. But I have some issues regarding this.

Firstly, throughout my senior-school life I haven't managed to create too many pieces of work to submit, however I have a ton of artwork of my own which has not been done under the grading system.

My teacher has never really told us what to do to create a port-folio, and as is the case in Scotland; all artwork submitted for the SQA gets mailed off and usually, is never seen from again. I only have a short amount of time left to create this port-folio which my chosen uni desires, but I am not sure what exactly i'm to do.

In classes we are currently working on more pieces for the SQA, but I fear that i won't have enough material to submit. Does anybody have any tips for building a PF, and if so, how can I create one with what I have? Do universities only look for traditional still-lifes, or will they also accept other kinds of artwork such as digital?

The reason I'm asking this question is because I found that the university's PF building list is a bit vague, and I want to know, what do the majority of schools look for in applicants?

I'd be grateful if anybody who has gone through, or is currently going through this process could give me any tips! Thanks.
Hi there Gatonolixo,

From my own experiences, most universities will ask to see a portfolio of work from you. This may be physical or may be digital, however, I also found that almost every university wanted to see something slightly different - this may be the contents or simply the amount that they want from you. This makes things easier for yourself as, for example, one university may only want 10 traditional pieces of work and another may ask for 25 pieces of artwork in whatever style or medium you want.

Some universities will put on their website or in the prospectuses what they want from you. If this is not the case, I would suggest contacting the admissions teams from each of the universities and ask what they are expecting from you (even if you haven't applied yet, as this shows that you are keen). Their contact email and/or phone number should be made readily available to you both online and in the prospectus.

If you have any pieces of work you feel may be of interest to any of the universities you're thinking about, perhaps scan in a copy of it before sending it off to SQA, so that you can still show this piece of work off. Universities do understand that your work may be being marked, so understand it is not always possible to physically bring it in, the same goes for large and 3D pieces of work, too.

Hope this helps!
Harriet
Second Year Photography Student and Student Ambassador at Plymouth College of Art
Thanks a lot!
Original post by Gatonolixo
Currently the time is getting nearer and nearer to myself starting university, and there is a sort of problem I have. I want to apply for an art course; which requires me to submit a port-folio of my work. But I have some issues regarding this.

Firstly, throughout my senior-school life I haven't managed to create too many pieces of work to submit, however I have a ton of artwork of my own which has not been done under the grading system.

My teacher has never really told us what to do to create a port-folio, and as is the case in Scotland; all artwork submitted for the SQA gets mailed off and usually, is never seen from again. I only have a short amount of time left to create this port-folio which my chosen uni desires, but I am not sure what exactly i'm to do.

In classes we are currently working on more pieces for the SQA, but I fear that i won't have enough material to submit. Does anybody have any tips for building a PF, and if so, how can I create one with what I have? Do universities only look for traditional still-lifes, or will they also accept other kinds of artwork such as digital?

The reason I'm asking this question is because I found that the university's PF building list is a bit vague, and I want to know, what do the majority of schools look for in applicants?

I'd be grateful if anybody who has gone through, or is currently going through this process could give me any tips! Thanks.

You can also request your coursework back from the SQA...There is however a cost associated with this (and there is now also the late fee on top of that). The details are here: https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/35398.html

Quick Reply

Latest