The Student Room Group

Surrounded by people that went to private school???

I’ve started uni recently and have made some nice friends however I can’t help feeling a bit left out because they all went to private /boarding school and all seem to know each other. I don’t want to be someone I’m not or hide the fact I went to a state school it’s just a new weird environment to be in
Have confidence in the fact that you got to the same place they did without the money.
Original post by RiUnknown
Have confidence in the fact that you got to the same place they did without the money.

For the record not all private school kids are rich. Some got scholarships and others, like me, have parents who saved their asses off.
Original post by MrMusician95
For the record not all private school kids are rich. Some got scholarships and others, like me, have parents who saved their asses off.

You talk of the minority.
WHO flipping cares
I’m not saying it’s a big deal but I’ve been made fun of for having a student loan called a chav etc I don’t look down upon anyone it would just been nice to see if anyone feels the same way
Original post by Rosscottommen
I’ve started uni recently and have made some nice friends however I can’t help feeling a bit left out because they all went to private /boarding school and all seem to know each other. I don’t want to be someone I’m not or hide the fact I went to a state school it’s just a new weird environment to be in

when I was at uni, a lot of my classmates went to schools like QE BOys, Habberdashers, St. Pauls (no etonians weirdly) and a bunch in Kent and Bedford, but there were also people from areas like Walthamstow, east london, Chatham, and Luton(bedfordshire). it mixes out and ill admit I felt annoyed at how certain people from more well-off families had greater job opportunities / didnt have as much financial insecurity as I had (particularlly during my final year) but I was always myself and people seemed to enjoy it (unlike highschool and sixth form which was loaded with drugged up, wannabe-gangsters who were just a nightmare to deal with in sixth form and the discriminatory jerkwads in high school). Just be yourself and dont feel intimidated by them. Be yourself and you will find people who will befriend you
(edited 5 years ago)
Which uni is it?

Seriously, why does it matter? And who even bothers asking what school you went to?
Nearly everyone has asks me what school I went to that is why I posted this question

You’re at university now. School is behind you in the past. Introduce yourself to the people and you won’t feel left out for long once you get to know each other better.
Nearly everyone has asks me what school I went to that is why I posted this question

It doesn't matter in the long run. My daughter went to a top London university. Her advantage was that she wasn't spoon fed in her state school. Many Off the private school kids cannot cope with the self discipline required . My son went to Bristol. Had the same. Don't let it become an issue. You have made it to where you are thanks to your hard work and the good state system. You are all equal now

Give it time. Perhaps it’s because they feel more at ease with each other because they are from a similar background both socially and academically.
Dont be someone you are not to suit anyone because you are then disrespecting yourself and you will end up being more unhappy. Ensure you get into a good friendship with lots to do even if it isn’t in your uni circle.
I’m not saying it’s a big deal but I’ve been made fun of for having a student loan called a chav etc I don’t look down upon anyone it would just been nice to see if anyone feels the same way

Really? Well **** them. People like that aren't worth your time. They're priveledged bullies. And nope, I haven't come across that at all.
Children go to school. Adults go to university.
I spent most of my education in the private sector and I'll say one thing: we are humans too!
Original post by jelly1000
I spent most of my education in the private sector and I'll say one thing: we are humans too!

Thank you!

which uni?

would recommend switching accomodation or finding the nice folks amongst the sea of annoying caricatures.

did the whole posh accommodation thing last year.. it worked out but only near the end when i found cool people. before then it was like being left out of a party that everyone was invited to except you.. every day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending