The Student Room Group

TC with high street firm, possible to move across?

Hey there guys, hope you are all well.

Would appreciate a bit of advice:

I currently paralegal at a high street firm in PI and CN. It's been good so far, I have instructed counsel, drafted a lot, conducted legal research, been to court and to meetings with large defendants. The people I work with are lovely. I suspect I will be offered a TC here.

My issue is two-fold: Firstly, I get frustrated when I'm not given enough, in part, because I am a highly ambitious individual and when I am at work I want to be progressing.

Secondly, in the medium-longer term I would love to move into a mid tier firm, in either PI or IP. I fear this will be impossible if I qualify into a small high street practice.

I would appreciate any feedback going.

Regards
Original post by dissentingview
Hey there guys, hope you are all well.

Would appreciate a bit of advice:

I currently paralegal at a high street firm in PI and CN. It's been good so far, I have instructed counsel, drafted a lot, conducted legal research, been to court and to meetings with large defendants. The people I work with are lovely. I suspect I will be offered a TC here.

My issue is two-fold: Firstly, I get frustrated when I'm not given enough, in part, because I am a highly ambitious individual and when I am at work I want to be progressing.

Secondly, in the medium-longer term I would love to move into a mid tier firm, in either PI or IP. I fear this will be impossible if I qualify into a small high street practice.

I would appreciate any feedback going.

Regards

1. I think you need to learn to make the most of the situation and contribute in positive ways in whatever way you can. that might mean photocopying, opeing mail, filing and making tea. You dont say at what stage your studies are but im assuming post LPC.

Ambition is all very good but you have to learn people skills and patience or your legal career will be short lived. If they trust you and they have the time they will give you responsibility. Even in the top legal firms you will be expected to fit in and undertake boring tasks, just as partners do when required.

2. Yes its possible to move up. It depends on you getting good experience, developing good skills and then picking the right opportunity plus the state of the market. You should also see what other law firms you might be offered a TC with.
Original post by 999tigger
1. I think you need to learn to make the most of the situation and contribute in positive ways in whatever way you can. that might mean photocopying, opeing mail, filing and making tea. You dont say at what stage your studies are but im assuming post LPC.

Ambition is all very good but you have to learn people skills and patience or your legal career will be short lived. If they trust you and they have the time they will give you responsibility. Even in the top legal firms you will be expected to fit in and undertake boring tasks, just as partners do when required.

2. Yes its possible to move up. It depends on you getting good experience, developing good skills and then picking the right opportunity plus the state of the market. You should also see what other law firms you might be offered a TC with.

Dear Sir,

I am currently still a GDL student (part-time, second year). Going on to the LPC next year. I do all of the above as it is (except making the tea that is).

I believe I already possess strong people skills. My team likes me and client-facing roles suit my strengths. I am currently considering applying to fieldfisher, DWF to name a few. I may not have made myself particularly clear, my consternation is simply that I do not want to find myself haemorrhaged in the job market due to an inherent bias against high street firms, nor limit myself to PI and CN exclusively.

Thank-you for your kind reply.
Dear Sir,

I am currently still a GDL student (part-time, second year). Going on to the LPC next year. I do all of the above as it is (except making the tea that is).

I believe I already possess strong people skills. My team likes me and client-facing roles suit my strengths. I am currently considering applying to fieldfisher, DWF to name a few. I may not have made myself particularly clear, my consternation is simply that I do not want to find myself haemorrhaged in the job market due to an inherent bias against high street firms, nor limit myself to PI and CN exclusively.

Thank-you for your kind reply.

Speak to JSP. Its all very well being ambitious but you might want to learn to walk before you attempt to run.
You can choose what sort of firm you wish to train with and whereabouts on the food chain you are depending on how in demand employers think your skills are.
If you have definite ambitions and they cant offer you the experience then join a firm that can.

If you have a strong desire to do IP, then join a firm which does IP.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
Speak to JSP. Its all very well being ambitious but you might want to learn to walk before you attempt to run.
You can choose what sort of firm you wish to train with and whereabouts on the food chain you are depending on how in demand employers think your skills are.
If you have definite ambitions and they cant offer you the experience then join a firm that can.

If you have a strong desire to do IP, then join a firm which does IP.

JSP?
JSP?

A regular poster on the law forums. In recruitment, although maybe not high street.
Original post by J-SP
Moving firms and upwards is possible.

You just need to make sure your TC or qualified experience is as close to the type of work as possible . The closer it is, the more possible it is. That means not just exposure to specifics like practice area (IP) but also the size/complexity/type of clients.

Thank you for your response.

Interesting. Given my stated longer-term desire to work in a larger law firm, DWF, Reed Smith for example. If I follow your argument correctly, ipso facto accepting a TC with my current employer is less likely to allow this type of move.

If I have understood you correctly and this is correct, would you, therefore, advocate I not accept any TC offered even if this was to run concurrently with my LPC and instead look to paralegal in a firm more closely aligned with a DWF, Reed Smith type?

I obviously do not want to be NQ and invisibly disbarred from getting into firms like the above.
Original post by J-SP
I would wait until you have a TC offer before making any conclusions.

Why aren’t you applying for TCs with the kinds of firms you mention? Or have you with no success so far?

Yes, fair enough on the first point (boss has just strongly hinted a few times).

I am trying to currently. They would be for 2020/2021. Just a matter of finding enough time currently.
Original post by J-SP
If your long term aim is to work in these type of firms then applying for TCs with them is the most straight forward route. Yes, you might have to wait an additional year or two but at least you are guaranteeing yourself comparable work experience to the people they typically recruit as qualified lawyers if you do a TC with them.

The route you are suggesting you could take is the easy option early on but it makes it much more difficult later on. If you think time is an issue now, wait until you are a qualified lawyer.

My advice: make time. Take time off work if needed, and plan in advance. Sacrifice a couple of nights out a month and fill in an application or two instead.

I thank-you for your reply, once again.

The fact, I'm still doing my GDL around work means I usually take my time off for that (exams), but I will make time.

Would you also advise me to stay put at my current firm and then use the fact I am running my own caseload etc to my advantage on applications OR should I make an interim move to a larger firm at the risk of being given less responsibility?

I'm sorry if I sound like a klutz with all these questions!

Kind Regards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending