The Student Room Group

A level sociology or Media studies for journalism???

Hi, I am deciding what A-levels I should do to go down the broadcasting journalist root. I know that for this course there are no specific A levels you should take however I would want to know which a level people thought was better to take sociology or Media studies???
~Thank youuu
Reply 1
Erm, in all honesty neither will be that helpful. Your A-levels do not really determine what kind of job you're going to do, especially not this sort of job (if it were medicine or engineering, fair enough, they do matter). Their purpose is more for university entry.

Now even then, your university degree wouldn't necessarily be the deciding factor for a job in broadcast journalism. You could take English literature at uni and get into that job. Or you could take journalism. Or economics. Or politics. Or anything really. I know someone who took chemistry and works at the BBC.

So to conclude: choose subjects that you are personally interested in enough to be studying them for 2 years. If you're planning on going to university, also make sure they're relevant to the course you want to take.

What are your other two choices so far?
Reply 2
I’m sorry for the late reply, well I put down as my opitions English Lit sociology and Spanish however I want to change English lit for English language and probably sociology for drama as I hate English literature! Also I’m just confused if there are any specific ones that will be better?(Original post by Sinnoh)
Erm, in all honesty neither will be that helpful. Your A-levels do not really determine what kind of job you're going to do, especially not this sort of job (if it were medicine or engineering, fair enough, they do matter). Their purpose is more for university entry.

Now even then, your university degree wouldn't necessarily be the deciding factor for a job in broadcast journalism. You could take English literature at uni and get into that job. Or you could take journalism. Or economics. Or politics. Or anything really. I know someone who took chemistry and works at the BBC.

So to conclude: choose subjects that you are personally interested in enough to be studying them for 2 years. If you're planning on going to university, also make sure they're relevant to the course you want to take.

What are your other two choices so far?
Id do sociology

Quick Reply

Latest