The Student Room Group

Maths at Act Sci at Manchester or Maths at KCL

Hey guys, I really need your help.

Basically I've firmed Kings College London to do Maths G100 and my insurance is Manchester to study Maths and Actuarial science and now i'm having doubts.

Which is a better degree career wise?
Becoming an actuary is quite a likely career path for me. Have I made a mistake? I just thought that being in London is a better location for work experience etc and that Kings has a better reputation than Manchester?

Help! Also is it even possible to swap your firm and insurance?

Thanks
zana

well if your firm is a higher offer than your insurance, then it would be pointless. :rolleyes:
Reply 2
They're pretty much the same

Kings is AABe (e in further maths AS)
Manchester is ABBb (b in further maths AS)
and i dont think you can put your insurance to be higher than your firm.
HereWithMe89
and i dont think you can put your insurance to be higher than your firm.

Of course you can :smile:
You can do whatever you like, its your choice of uni.
You could put a DDD offer as firm and an AAA offer as insurance if you so wished.
louisedotcom
Of course you can :smile:
You can do whatever you like, its your choice of uni.
You could put a DDD offer as firm and an AAA offer as insurance if you so wished.

but that would, again be pointless.

the point of insurance, surely, is the back up for what you didn't get into.

and if you really wnated to go to your insurance, jus tmake it your first choice then.. such complexity. :s-smilie:
HereWithMe89
but that would, again be pointless.

the point of insurance, surely, is the back up for what you didn't get into.

and if you really wnated to go to your insurance, jus tmake it your first choice then.. such complexity. :s-smilie:

Its not really pointless, it depends on the Uni.
Offers arnt strictly set in stone, so for example if your offer was AAA from your insurance, but from your firm it was AAB, your firm may reject you for getting ABB for example, whilst you insurance may still accept you as they feel you are a good candidate.

Its never pointless. You should always put the uni you most want to go to as your firm and the uni you want to go to next as your insurance. Forget the offers, ignore them its about where you want to go. Clearing can always be used as a back up if it all goes wrong.

Manchester is a thriving busy city and you would have an equal chance of work experience there as in London I am sure :smile:
Reply 7
if you go manchester you can always work in london -- just apply there. you wont be disadvantages jus cause ur not in london.

btw, do you know the course outline for Act Science at manchester? they say they are preparing the course structure when i asked them (i also applied)
Reply 8
no sorry i have no idea
Reply 9
zana
Hey guys, I really need your help.

Basically I've firmed Kings College London to do Maths G100 and my insurance is Manchester to study Maths and Actuarial science and now i'm having doubts.

Which is a better degree career wise?
Becoming an actuary is quite a likely career path for me. Have I made a mistake? I just thought that being in London is a better location for work experience etc and that Kings has a better reputation than Manchester?

Thanks

Not sure career-wise, it sounds like you are actually looking at the difference between Maths Act. Sci and just Maths. Some comparisons of maths depts might help too http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~bl/maths_league/uk-maths-league-tables.html
Manchester is bigger and has a bigger research income and comes out better on most of the other research related headings. But if KCL is asking for higher grades then there is probably something behind it.

Manchester is a big centre for the insurance industry, but of course London is bigger. But you should expect to travel to get a summer internship anyway, and so that might not be the same city in which you study.
Reply 10
johnheyes91
if you go manchester you can always work in london -- just apply there. you wont be disadvantages jus cause ur not in london.

btw, do you know the course outline for Act Science at manchester? they say they are preparing the course structure when i asked them (i also applied)

There is only an outline of the Maths and Actuarial Sci course on the University web site. Couldn't see it on the Maths Dept web site?
I saw that one. :smile: This is the course outline that I couldnt see for the Actuarial Science one. I emailed the maths department and they said it is under review by the Actuarial Society..

http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/ugadmission/single-honours.html

Latest