The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

HCD
If you want to make it in childrens' TV, make sure you have a healthy cocaine habit. No kids' TV presenter has made it through without one! :smile:

I think this comment is hilarious and so so true!! Richard Bacon...Mark Speight (though am quite sad that he died :frown:)
Reply 21
s_is_for_sam
Thanks for the link, ive seen it, it's really helpful. And yeah I know what your saying, I wouldnt mind starting at journalism at all. Do you think there are any specific college courses I should take for that? Also, this may sound naive but I dont know a lot about unis, but how are they put off by certain A-level courses?

It depends on the uni and what you are going to study, some will let you in with anything. Ultimately go with what you enjoy but keep a few things in mind.

Universities generally do prefer more theorertical and academically rigorous courses. General studies is always a big no no. Media studies, ICT, Design technology.

The point is, studying media studies at A-level is not going to get you a job in the media any more than doing a more academically rigorous subject is. If you want to do it then great, try and do it as a fourth subject though, with three solid subjects.

Subjects that may be useful in journalism are English (both language and lit, although lit is better respected by unis) and any other arts subject that requires essay writing and analytical skills such as history, theology/philosophy and geography. It's also worth trying to balance this out with a science or two (including maths). It's not necessary though, especially if you're seriously interested in broadcastng/journalism. Maths still wouldn't hurt.

Law, psychology, history and biology.
English lit, geography, maths and media studies
Psychology, media studies, maths and law/biology

Those aren't bad combinations.

Having said that, Cardiff one of the leading schools of journalism in the country and they don't specifiy any courses, just no general studies.

http://courses.cardiff.ac.uk/undergraduate/course/detail/73.html

Just be comfortable with what you're taking but please still be cautious about taking media studies and sociology (the media studies of the 80s:biggrin: ) together. Try and do at least one of history, english or (if you can) philosophy. The skills you'll gain in research, writing, debate and analysis will be valuable.

Prospects offer more info on other jobs in the media that you may consider

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Explore_types_of_jobs/Types_of_Job/p!eipaL?state=showsec&secno=Y0

Ultimately it's your luck, contacts, determination and general personality that will get you where you want to be, as much as qualifications - just make sure you can get these - and pursue a career (within media if needs be) as a backup.

Also contacts help, start getting work experience as soon as possible. One good place to start is the local papers, but local TV stations may also offer some opporunities. I know that, a few years ago, my local BBC were offering work placement opporunities (three days with the local news team). Maybe yours are doing something similar?

Good luck
Reply 22
bristolbabe
I think this comment is hilarious and so so true!! Richard Bacon...Mark Speight (though am quite sad that he died :frown:)

Thanks! :biggrin: There was also Natasha Collins, and John Leslie from Blue Peter as well... the list goes on!
Reply 23
River85
It depends on the uni and what you are going to study, some will let you in with anything. Ultimately go with what you enjoy but keep a few things in mind.

Universities generally do prefer more theorertical and academically rigorous courses. General studies is always a big no no. Media studies, ICT, Design technology.

The point is, studying media studies at A-level is not going to get you a job in the media any more than doing a more academically rigorous subject is. If you want to do it then great, try and do it as a fourth subject though, with three solid subjects.

Subjects that may be useful in journalism are English (both language and lit, although lit is better respected by unis) and any other arts subject that requires essay writing and analytical skills such as history, theology/philosophy and geography. It's also worth trying to balance this out with a science or two (including maths). It's not necessary though, especially if you're seriously interested in broadcastng/journalism. Maths still wouldn't hurt.

Law, psychology, history and biology.
English lit, geography, maths and media studies
Psychology, media studies, maths and law/biology

Those aren't bad combinations.

Having said that, Cardiff one of the leading schools of journalism in the country and they don't specifiy any courses, just no general studies.

http://courses.cardiff.ac.uk/undergraduate/course/detail/73.html

Just be comfortable with what you're taking but please still be cautious about taking media studies and sociology (the media studies of the 80s:biggrin: ) together. Try and do at least one of history, english or (if you can) philosophy. The skills you'll gain in research, writing, debate and analysis will be valuable.

Prospects offer more info on other jobs in the media that you may consider

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Explore_types_of_jobs/Types_of_Job/p!eipaL?state=showsec&secno=Y0

Ultimately it's your luck, contacts, determination and general personality that will get you where you want to be, as much as qualifications - just make sure you can get these - and pursue a career (within media if needs be) as a backup.

Also contacts help, start getting work experience as soon as possible. One good place to start is the local papers, but local TV stations may also offer some opporunities. I know that, a few years ago, my local BBC were offering work placement opporunities (three days with the local news team). Maybe yours are doing something similar?

Good luck

Hey thanks that was a huge help. I dont think im going to do Media studies now! The combo of courses youve given are interesting, and although I want to follow the advice, each list youve given has a course I refuse to take. Maths, English and History are all big no's for me. I guess the best and closest thing to following your course advice would be to stick with what im doing really...
Again thanks for the advice, very helpful!!
Reply 24
s_is_for_sam
Hey thanks that was a huge help. I dont think im going to do Media studies now! The combo of courses youve given are interesting, and although I want to follow the advice, each list youve given has a course I refuse to take. Maths, English and History are all big no's for me. I guess the best and closest thing to following your course advice would be to stick with what im doing really...
Again thanks for the advice, very helpful!!

Fair enough, but what is it about English and history (in particular) you don't like. Is it the way that the way they are taught? For English is it the choice of texts?

If it's that you don't like the research, writing and don't have the analytical skills that are needed for them then journalism is unlikely to be for you.

Do you know much about philosophy?

Also law, especially if it has a media law area, isn't really a bad A-level to do. Psychology has its value as far as journalism goes. It's just balancing that with a science and a solid art subject.
Reply 25
River85
Fair enough, but what is it about English and history (in particular) you don't like. Is it the way that the way they are taught? For English is it the choice of texts?

If it's that you don't like the research, writing and don't have the analytical skills that are needed for them then journalism is unlikely to be for you.

Do you know much about philosophy?

Also law, especially if it has a media law area, isn't really a bad A-level to do. Psychology has its value as far as journalism goes. It's just balancing that with a science and a solid art subject.

With history, ive never had an interest at all and was really glad to drop it in year 9 and not choose it as an option. English...Im not so sure. I dont like the literature side much really. The language side isnt so bad, I dont think id mind doing that so much. I dont mind the essay writing, but with literature I always find it hard to explain my point in a question, which I think is what I dont like.
Just be aware that at least 50% of teenagers would like to be tv presenters. I think you need to be prepared to spend years and years as a dogsbody, kissing the right asses and stabbing the right backs (I know Richard Bacon, he is a dick...) and making absolutely no money...if that's a sacrifice you're prepared to make, and if you're willing to risk it (bearing in mind that the overwhelming majority of people don't make it) then go for it!
Reply 27
Nana_Julia
I know Richard Bacon, he is a dick...!

Lol, he does come off as a bit of a one.
s_is_for_sam
My dream job has always been to become a TV presenter. Ive always kinda seen it as out of bounds because I know how much it takes to become one. Recently though ive been thinking, if I really want to do it maybe I should try and get there. Ive already picked my courses for college, but I would like to change them to include media studies so that it could go towards TV presenting, because none of my other courses have anything to do with those lines.
Is wanting to be a TV presenter too much to ask for? Should I aspire to be something else, or should I follow what I really want to do?

Thanks.

You're doubting yourself. Tell yourself and repeat after me: Anything, yes ANYTHING is possible if you are focused. Now go out there and make your parents proud.
My advice, do a degree in a rigorous academic subject (arts based) i.e. History, Law, English, Politics, Philosophy, Economics, from a respectable university. Get as much and I mean as much media related experience as possible. Set up a magazine, write for the uni newspaper, apply for a runners job (google grapevine for media related work), I personally recommend 'The Farm' - great place to work for, fun people and a massive float every week for food so your well fed around the busy Soho area.

BBC have many work experience placements, try them, there is alot you can do. Simply do not do Media Studies for A level/Degree. Its not likely, I'm not saying it will or won't but chances are you stand a better shot at your goal by getting experience. Paper qualifications in 'media' are not really what places like the BBC (I assume this is the OPs target employer, look for)

Just my $0.02
Reply 30
unknown demon
My advice, do a degree in a rigorous academic subject (arts based) i.e. History, Law, English, Politics, Philosophy, Economics, from a respectable university. Get as much and I mean as much media related experience as possible. Set up a magazine, write for the uni newspaper, apply for a runners job (google grapevine for media related work), I personally recommend 'The Farm' - great place to work for, fun people and a massive float every week for food so your well fed around the busy Soho area.

Just my $0.02

Exactly, as I was saying earlier, it depends on what sort of television presenter you want to be. Many are trained professional journalists so whilst the academic route (outlined by unknown demon) isn't the only way of getting into the industry, it's probably one of the most sensible. Then you can try and go straight into the industry, with significant work experience and ethusiasm, as well perhaps an accredited journalism degree. If all else fails you'll still have a good academic degree to fall back on, with a number of transferable skills.

True, this isn't the only way and I don't mean to dictate to you, there are other ways into the industry by going into related jobs and building contacts and gaining knowledge, but they are far riskier.

Just remember, you'll need (lots and lots) of work experience, contacts, determination and lots of luck.

But no, it isn't too much to aim for. Maybe I'm an idealist but I don't think anything is.
River85
Exactly, as I was saying earlier, it depends on what sort of television presenter you want to be. Many are trained professional journalists so whilst the academic route (outlined by unknown demon) isn't the only way of getting into the industry, it's probably one of the most sensible. Then you can try and go straight into the industry, with significant work experience and ethusiasm, as well perhaps an accredited journalism degree. If all else fails you'll still have a good academic degree to fall back on, with a number of transferable skills.

True, this isn't the only way and I don't mean to dictate to you, there are other ways into the industry by going into related jobs and building contacts and gaining knowledge, but they are far riskier.

Just remember, you'll need (lots and lots) of work experience, contacts, determination and lots of luck.

But no, it isn't too much to aim for. Maybe I'm an idealist but I don't think anything is.

Ahh yes, if you do opt for an MA course in Journalism, I'd recommend and this has come from friends at The Guardian/Times etc to go for either Cardiff/City University (London). Excellent career prospects.

Make contacts with the BBC best thing you can do and try get something even if it means being a runner.
Reply 32
Thanks for the advice, im glad I have asked as it has given me a different outlook now! I am going to change one of my college courses to English, most likely sociology I think.

Again thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending