The Student Room Group

Pressured into unpaid overtime on placment.

So I work 9-6 5 days a week and normally once or twice a week my manger will go up to the owner in front of me and ask if I can do overtime and he says of course he will without asking me first, so i’m stuck doing the over time till like 9pm. I hate it because I get really hungry and bad headaches because of that and my lunch is a 30 min break at 1pm and nothing else after, plus the overtime is unpaid so that doesn’t help me. So i’m literally doing 50+ hours a week and it’s taking a toll on me because i’m only a placment student. Can I say no to the overtime in this situation? and how can I say no with this sort of pressure from them both considering there roles in the company.
Do you have a contract?
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
Do you have a contract?

Yes
Original post by Anonymous
Yes

What does it say about overtime and breaks?
If it's against your contract say no. You don't have to do extra overtime, and certainly not unpaid. Just bring it up to your manager nicely.
Reply 5
Original post by DrawTheLine
What does it say about overtime and breaks?

36 hours and a 1 hour lunch
36 hours and a 1 hour lunch

Present them with the contract and say they're breaching it. Stand up for yourself.
Reply 7
If it's against your contract say no. You don't have to do extra overtime, and certainly not unpaid. Just bring it up to your manager nicely.

But when she says it to me, she makes it out as if I didn’t do the task it will stunt everybody else’s work tomorrow which it will but surely someone else can do it right?
But when she says it to me, she makes it out as if I didn’t do the task it will stunt everybody else’s work tomorrow which it will but surely someone else can do it right?

Not your problem anymore though is it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending