The Student Room Group

Student finance for estranged students placement year

Wondering how SFE works for estranged students in placement (sandwich year degree) ?
I know the loan is already reduced in placement year which worries me as my internal uni placements are all unpaid but very interesting.
Also for external placements I have applied for (payed), they are situated in London. Will the loan be adjusted to support insane London living costs ?

Original post by Arrnab
Wondering how SFE works for estranged students in placement (sandwich year degree) ?
I know the loan is already reduced in placement year which worries me as my internal uni placements are all unpaid but very interesting.
Also for external placements I have applied for (payed), they are situated in London. Will the loan be adjusted to support insane London living costs ?

Hi there,

So we can check this can you please confirm the name of your course and university?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

So we can check this can you please confirm the name of your course and university?

Thanks, Graeme

University of exeter. Medical science with industry
Hi there, how long is your placement for? Is it the full year you're on a paid placement? Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there, how long is your placement for? Is it the full year you're on a paid placement? Thanks, Jason

Yes it will be a full year. Internal placements are at the uni and are not paid for
Original post by Arrnab
University of exeter. Medical science with industry

Thanks. That course isn't showing any options on the database. Do you have the UCAS code or does it have a different name? Thanks, Jason
Reply 6
Original post by SFE Jason
Thanks. That course isn't showing any options on the database. Do you have the UCAS code or does it have a different name? Thanks, Jason

B101
Original post by Arrnab
B101

This code shows the course called - Medical Sciences with Professional Training Year is this correct?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 8
Original post by Claire SFE
This code shows the course called - Medical Sciences with Professional Training Year is this correct?

Thanks,
Claire

yes
Original post by Arrnab
yes

This shows year 3 placements year. London Rate is only applicable where a student is doing their work placement in London and are living elsewhere. If they are still living with parents they will not be eligible for this rate. We also factor into account where the placement will be.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 10
Original post by Claire SFE
This shows year 3 placements year. London Rate is only applicable where a student is doing their work placement in London and are living elsewhere. If they are still living with parents they will not be eligible for this rate. We also factor into account where the placement will be.

Thanks,
Claire

ok but I am not living with parents I am estranged lol. Is the maintenance loan still minimum (£3/4000) when a student is estranged and has an unpaid placement. Ive heard of plan B placements and how the maintenance loan is reconsidered.
Hi Arrnab,

Thank you for confirming. In that case you should be eligible for the full Maintenance Loan as normal, going by the information you have provided. This will be confirmed when you apply and your entitlement has been assessed. In the meantime, you can use the Student Finance Calculator for an estimated amount that you may be entitled to.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

Thanks, Clare
Reply 12
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi Arrnab,

Thank you for confirming. In that case you should be eligible for the full Maintenance Loan as normal, going by the information you have provided. This will be confirmed when you apply and your entitlement has been assessed. In the meantime, you can use the Student Finance Calculator for an estimated amount that you may be entitled to.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

Thanks, Clare

Can I ask - do unpaid placements ( offered by the uni ) that include a stipend of £3000, still count as a Plan B placement. My placement lead believes as it is a stipend and not a wage it is?
Hi there. Unpaid Type B placement include the following:

Unpaid Type B list

1) A hospital, Public Health Service Laboratory or with Clinical Commissioning group

2) A Special Health Authority, the National Health Service Commissioning Board, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, the Health and Social Care Information Centre, Local Health Board, Health Board, Special Health Board or Health and Social Services Board

3) A Local Authority carrying out its duties relating to health, welfare or caring for children and young people, a voluntary organisation providing facilities or carrying out similar activities; A Local Authority acting in the exercise of public health functions

4) The prison or probation sector or after-care services;

5) Unpaid research in a UK or overseas institution

6) An unpaid placement in the Houses of Parliament The evidence provided must confirm that the role they are undertaking on their placement meets the criteria for unpaid type B placements. The primary role of the placement must relate to one of the above categories.

If your placement falls under one of these types, you are entitled to full support.

Thanks, Leah.
Reply 14
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. Unpaid Type B placement include the following:

Unpaid Type B list

1) A hospital, Public Health Service Laboratory or with Clinical Commissioning group

2) A Special Health Authority, the National Health Service Commissioning Board, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, the Health and Social Care Information Centre, Local Health Board, Health Board, Special Health Board or Health and Social Services Board

3) A Local Authority carrying out its duties relating to health, welfare or caring for children and young people, a voluntary organisation providing facilities or carrying out similar activities; A Local Authority acting in the exercise of public health functions

4) The prison or probation sector or after-care services;

5) Unpaid research in a UK or overseas institution

6) An unpaid placement in the Houses of Parliament The evidence provided must confirm that the role they are undertaking on their placement meets the criteria for unpaid type B placements. The primary role of the placement must relate to one of the above categories.

If your placement falls under one of these types, you are entitled to full support.

Thanks, Leah.

Yeah it’s carried out in a hospital and is unpaid but still offers a stipend of £3000, therefore I am unsure if it counts ?
Original post by Arrnab
Yeah it’s carried out in a hospital and is unpaid but still offers a stipend of £3000, therefore I am unsure if it counts ?

The university are offering you a payment of £3000 for the placement? So, are they classing it as paid or unpaid? Thanks, Leah.
Reply 16
Original post by Leah SLC
The university are offering you a payment of £3000 for the placement? So, are they classing it as paid or unpaid? Thanks, Leah.

It’s classed as an unpaid placement at the hospital. However they are offering ‘stipend’ of £3000 to cover any food costs …ect. My module lead stated it’s a stipend and not a wage and he argues that it’s unpaid. Obviously i would like to check with what student finance says first
If they are classing it as Type B unpaid, then the £3000 paid by them won't affect this.

Thanks, Leah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending