The Student Room Group

Is my life over?

I graduated with a third class degree in actuarial science, is there any hope for me or have I wasted the past 3 years of my life?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HighlandWarrior
I graduated with a third class degree in actuarial science, is there any hope for me or have I wasted the past 3 years of my life?

Your life isnt over, but iy wont be easy getting a job based on your degree.
Do you have any ambitions to become an actuary?

If it interests you then I would look at:

1. Just getting any job and working up. Civil service being an example. If you get in then you can show them how good you are.
2. Professional exams that you can build a career round. Your A levels must be good? Even if you ahve to pay for these yourself.
3. Second degree such as Allied health care or p/t science degree.

I imagine its a blow, but you just have to make the best of it. It could be worse. No point beating yourself up.
Be sure to use your careers service and or national careers.
(edited 5 years ago)

Ur life isn't over m8 but you gotta think about your next steps very carefully. I don't think that you can go into acturial science just yet with those grades but you might want to get yourself a standard job for now and searching for alternative routes into your desire career such as an apprenticeship of other vocational qualification.

Just remmeber that just cos you failed your first attempt doesn't mean that you're a complete failure. But your head down, work hard and hopefully you'll suceed in your next attempt whatever it may be
Original post by 999tigger
Your life isnt over, but iy wont be easy getting a job based on your degree.
Do you have any ambitions to become an actuary?

If it interests you then I would look at:

1. Just getting any job and working up. Civil service being an example. If you get in then you can show them how good you are.
2. Professional exams that you can build a career round. Your A levels must be good? Even if you ahve to pay for these yourself.
3. Second degree such as Allied health care or p/t science degree.

I imagine its a blow, but you just have to make the best of it. It could be worse. No point beating yourself up.
Be sure to use your careers service and or national careers.

Not just an actuary but any job related to the finance field.

So what you're saying is that it definitely is a waste of 3 years and I would have been better off not having gone to university in the first place if getting a regular job is my next step.

What kind of professional exams? Do you mean the Actuarial exams?

Getting a second degree isn't viable because of how much education fees are, I don't need to be buried in even more debt.
Not just an actuary but any job related to the finance field.

So what you're saying is that it definitely is a waste of 3 years and I would have been better off not having gone to university in the first place if getting a regular job is my next step.

What kind of professional exams? Do you mean the Actuarial exams?

Getting a second degree isn't viable because of how much education fees are, I don't need to be buried in even more debt.

I dont have to say it just look at job adverts. If you are a wannabee actuary they are most likely to want a 2:1 and a high one at that.

I'm not sure you will find an employer who will be willing to train you and spend the money for the rest of the exams. Have a look at the trainee positions.

Any profession. By all means carry on with actuary exams if you think you are up to it. If you pass those they might look past your degree.

Its unlikely you would pay off the money for a second degree as 75% dont even pay off first degree money. It is quasi debt not regular debt.
I dont have to say it just look at job adverts. If you are a wannabee actuary they are most likely to want a 2:1 and a high one at that.

I'm not sure you will find an employer who will be willing to train you and spend the money for the rest of the exams. Have a look at the trainee positions.

Any profession. By all means carry on with actuary exams if you think you are up to it. If you pass those they might look past your degree.

Its unlikely you would pay off the money for a second degree as 75% dont even pay off first degree money. It is quasi debt not regular debt.

I'm not deadset on being an actuary, I just want a finance job period so I'm actually making progress.

"they might" isn't a gamble worth taking. especially as jobs here in scotland are so scarce that I'm having to find jobs in england.

surely me getting a 1st for my dissertation but my exams having suffered must count for something, or is me missing a 2:2 by 2% that much of a death sentence?
I'm not deadset on being an actuary, I just want a finance job period so I'm actually making progress.

"they might" isn't a gamble worth taking. especially as jobs here in scotland are so scarce that I'm having to find jobs in england.

surely me getting a 1st for my dissertation but my exams having suffered must count for something, or is me missing a 2:2 by 2% that much of a death sentence?

Go and look at the job adverts. See what degree they want.
You can recover, bu I dont see your degree being a viable qualification..
If you want to get into finance then I would be looking at getting an entry level job and then working your way up plus at the same time seeing what professional training might be available.

Use your university careers service.
Go and look at the job adverts. See what degree they want.
You can recover, bu I dont see your degree being a viable qualification..
If you want to get into finance then I would be looking at getting an entry level job and then working your way up plus at the same time seeing what professional training might be available.

Use your university careers service.

Then I won't put it in my CV
You can't work up from an entry level job, it never happens especially as I'm not qualified.
Then I won't put it in my CV
You can't work up from an entry level job, it never happens especially as I'm not qualified.

Dont take my word for it go and see careers and look at the job adverts. People do work themselves up, but at the same time I would be picking a career/ profession and doing those qualifications as well. You have to be open as to what sort of finance interests you be that accounts, pensions, insurance, banking etc. When ready go and start with the technician level qualifications and work up.
Reply 10
Look to gain professional qualifications like ACCA.
Look for apprentices/school leaver schemes. (some take graduates who didn't get a 2.1 min)
Your life is not over by any means and you can still certainly get jobs in finance (I have been in an identical position) Have you ever considered accountancy as a career?

I graduated in 2013 with a 3rd class degree in maths & finance from a Russel group uni (I just messed around during uni, no excuses) I couldn't get onto any grad scheme or any other job that require a degree.

It took me almost a year to find my first job, I started out in a junior accountancy role paying only £18k and started the CIMA qualification (I even paid the first 3 or so courses myself)

With a 3rd I knew I had to do something to set myself apart from others so I set myself a target of completing all my accountancy exams with first time passes. After 2 years in my first role I had enough experience to move to a company who took me on even with my 3rd on a salary of £30k + training contract.

Fast forward another 2 years (~5 years after graduating), I have completed all CIMA exams with first time passes and now earn £50k+ and work for a global financial services firm with plenty of potential / opportunities open to me due to having first time CIMA passes. I know people out there who have 1sts 2.1s, masters etc who are earning much less than I am.

In short, you don't have to let your degree define you but you will almost certainly have to take up lower paid jobs to build up your experience and work your way up.
Original post by Paloma42
Your life is not over by any means and you can still certainly get jobs in finance (I have been in an identical position) Have you ever considered accountancy as a career?

I graduated in 2013 with a 3rd class degree in maths & finance from a Russel group uni (I just messed around during uni, no excuses) I couldn't get onto any grad scheme or any other job that require a degree.

It took me almost a year to find my first job, I started out in a junior accountancy role paying only £18k and started the CIMA qualification (I even paid the first 3 or so courses myself)

With a 3rd I knew I had to do something to set myself apart from others so I set myself a target of completing all my accountancy exams with first time passes. After 2 years in my first role I had enough experience to move to a company who took me on even with my 3rd on a salary of £30k + training contract.

Fast forward another 2 years (~5 years after graduating), I have completed all CIMA exams with first time passes and now earn £50k+ and work for a global financial services firm with plenty of potential / opportunities open to me due to having first time CIMA passes. I know people out there who have 1sts 2.1s, masters etc who are earning much less than I am.

In short, you don't have to let your degree define you but you will almost certainly have to take up lower paid jobs to build up your experience and work your way up.

First of all congratulations and well done on becoming so successful, I'm happy to know things can work out with a 3rd :smile:

I have considered accountancy as a career yes, and I have been looking for accountancy related jobs but the ones I have seen have all needed a qualification in the accountancy field (not even thinking about chartered accountants, the requirements for that are far higher) or a 2.1 "in any subject" which obviously I don't have.

Did you have to get a CIMA qualification as part of the job role or was that something you chose to do on the side to try and gain more credentials?
IF you are still considering the actuarial path, I would think that if you passed some of the professional exams, you might fine some employers who would take a look at you. I think employers are looking for people who demonstrate ability to qualify. Passing professional exams goes a long way towards that.

Disclosure: I’m a UK qualified actuary although I’ve never worked in the UK. However in markets where I’ve worked it seems exams are more important than one’s degree.

Wow - just wow! Well done - you are an inspiration
Reply 15
I feel like my life is over too, don't worry (although for another reason)

don't put 3rd class class on your CV, you will get a job and probably you will do very well once employed!!! there are so many courses out there to boost your qualifications to a needed level:smile:)) just don't give up!

in almost every job I've worked they did not look at my degree classification, it is more needed for a further studies etc. but once employed you can work hard, do best and "climb higher" if you want :biggrin: (and are good at climbing:wink:

good luck:smile:

Not if you wish to persue a career in actuarial science. Many people go to university and do courses that they either have no intention of getting a job in or that they simply won’t get a job in.
Did you have to get a CIMA qualification as part of the job role or was that something you chose to do on the side to try and gain more credentials?

It was part of the role but my first employer wouldn't fund the qualification since it was a small company and the role was a junior role which didn't require accountancy exams. I think I paid for the first 3 exams myself and after that they agreed to fund the rest. So I did a few more and after the 2nd year I moved to a bigger firm on a decent salary + study support.

Most of the graduate jobs / more exciting entry level accountancy jobs will require a 2.1 or 2.2 atleast. It might be worth looking at more junior roles such as "Accounts assistant, Assistant Accountant or Accounts payable / receivable jobs)

When applying for jobs I wouldn't put your grade on your CV. I would just put BSc (Hons) Actuarial Science (Which is correct, you have completed the degree) Most employers / recruiters will ask but atleast it might get you an interview where you might be able to win them over regardless of your degree. You never know they may not even ask...
Original post by HedgePig
IF you are still considering the actuarial path, I would think that if you passed some of the professional exams, you might fine some employers who would take a look at you. I think employers are looking for people who demonstrate ability to qualify. Passing professional exams goes a long way towards that.

Disclosure: I’m a UK qualified actuary although I’ve never worked in the UK. However in markets where I’ve worked it seems exams are more important than one’s degree.

So doing the CT exams would be beneficial? alright I'll start looking into that thanks.

Original post by inez16
I feel like my life is over too, don't worry (although for another reason)

don't put 3rd class class on your CV, you will get a job and probably you will do very well once employed!!! there are so many courses out there to boost your qualifications to a needed level:smile:)) just don't give up!

in almost every job I've worked they did not look at my degree classification, it is more needed for a further studies etc. but once employed you can work hard, do best and "climb higher" if you want :biggrin: (and are good at climbing:wink:

good luck:smile:

thanks for the support :smile: You say that they don't look at your degree classification but you can't apply for a job that you don't meet the requirements of, can you? Surely if you make the requirements they won't have to look at your degreec classification?

It was part of the role but my first employer wouldn't fund the qualification since it was a small company and the role was a junior role which didn't require accountancy exams. I think I paid for the first 3 exams myself and after that they agreed to fund the rest. So I did a few more and after the 2nd year I moved to a bigger firm on a decent salary + study support.

Most of the graduate jobs / more exciting entry level accountancy jobs will require a 2.1 or 2.2 atleast. It might be worth looking at more junior roles such as "Accounts assistant, Assistant Accountant or Accounts payable / receivable jobs)

When applying for jobs I wouldn't put your grade on your CV. I would just put BSc (Hons) Actuarial Science (Which is correct, you have completed the degree) Most employers / recruiters will ask but atleast it might get you an interview where you might be able to win them over regardless of your degree. You never know they may not even ask...

I see, thanks. This might be the best path for me to take as it means I would also get experience in the field which I know would be a benefit.

How hard was it to balance studying with work assuming you didn't have any study leave? I've read through the website and they say you need 3 years of experience in the field before you can be conisdered a CIMA student.

Yeah I've been told not mentioning the grade is the best thing to do and I've already tailored my CV in that manner, obviously I won't be applying for 2.2 or above jobs so its not like I'm lying or anything.

Thanks again for the informative posts :smile:

How hard was it to balance studying with work assuming you didn't have any study leave? I've read through the website and they say you need 3 years of experience in the field before you can be conisdered a CIMA student.

Yeah I've been told not mentioning the grade is the best thing to do and I've already tailored my CV in that manner, obviously I won't be applying for 2.2 or above jobs so its not like I'm lying or anything.

Thanks again for the informative posts :smile:

Almost all firms who pay for training (Unless you work for like one of the top 10 accountancy firms) will only give you 3~5 days per exam.

All of the courses I attended were evening or weekend (8-10 weekday evenings or 4-5 Saturdays per exam every 2 months) and I got 3 days leave for each exam but I would usually take another 1/2 days annual leave to give myself a full week. It was quite a long 2 years as I was finishing my qualification and my social life / personal time did take a bit of a backseat but since I had a 3rd it was a sacrifice I had to make and it's paying off for me now...

You don't need any experience to be considered a student of any accountancy board, as soon as you register I guess you become a student. In order to be qualified you need to complete all the exams and have 3 years of relevant practical experience.

If I were you I would still try to apply for jobs that ask for a 2.2 (You were only 2% off...) a lot of jobs say 2.1 preferable which doesn't means you can't apply... nothing to lose by doing so. If they say 2.1 essential then I probably wouldn't bother.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending