The Student Room Group

Is a Grade 8 an A* to universities?

Grade 8=a*?
for class of 2017 (leaving secondary)yes. for you lot not sure
Reply 2
So I’m in y12 rn, class of 2018 so grade 8 isn’t an a*?!
Original post by dudemanmad
for class of 2017 (leaving secondary)yes. for you lot not sure
An A* is basically an "8.5", so technically an 8 is below an A*, but I don't think unis will really care, they'll probably still see it as an A* and a 9 as an A**
Reply 4
Original post by 3pointonefour
An A* is basically an "8.5", so technically an 8 is below an A*, but I don't think unis will really care, they'll probably still see it as an A* and a 9 as an A**

So say if someone asked what I got in my GCSEs based on the old system and I got
99999988887, what should I say?
Reply 5
Original post by bilalsheraz7
So say if someone asked what I got in my GCSEs based on the old system and I got

10A*s and an A.
Reply 6
Original post by crybabynessie
10A*s and an A.

What did you get in your gcses?
Reply 7
What did you get in your gcses?

10 9s, an 8 and 2 A*s.
Reply 8
Original post by crybabynessie
10 9s, an 8 and 2 A*s.

WHatbcareer u looking to go into
I know for the 2017 group (aka me) universities are aware we were the first year to do the new grading system and are being lenient. For instance, a 4+ is a pass whereas for the following years, a 5+ is a pass. I think the same applies to the higher grades.
Reply 10
WHatbcareer u looking to go into

no idea yet lol, maybe something biochem related
Yes. 8 and 9 is an A*. Both oxford and Cambridge have said that they will consider them both as an A*

It's fine to say you got 10A* and 1 A

You say what others have said. As stated by Ofqual themselves, there's 'no direct comparison' with the old system when it comes to the grade 8. You can just say that you were awarded 10 A*s and an A to simplify it though, and I do think that is how most (if not all) universities will view it as well.

Quick Reply

Latest