The Student Room Group

How are you handling the stress at GCSEs?

GCSEs stress me out. Not necessarily because they’re too hard, but because I’m doing 9 GCSEs and I feel like my head is about to explode. It’s so hard to focus on one GCSE, so I’m wondering how everyone else is coping.
I did GCSEs last year and found it pretty intense with switching between all the subjects and my best advice would be to make a timetable for studying and try to not stress as it’s really tough to have to spread yourself really thinly . At least you’re not finding the content too bad though as that means you only have to focus on retaining it as opposed to learning and understanding it
Original post by DGeorge13
I did GCSEs last year and found it pretty intense with switching between all the subjects and my best advice would be to make a timetable for studying and try to not stress as it’s really tough to have to spread yourself really thinly . At least you’re not finding the content too bad though as that means you only have to focus on retaining it as opposed to learning and understanding it

Thank you. 😁
Reply 3
I did GCSEs in 2017.
If you do consistently well throughout year 10 and 11, it's not stressful. Why? Because if you've been getting high marks in end-of-topic tests, if you understand all the content and understand it as you learn it then it becomes impossible not to do very well.
Original post by Raven’s eye
GCSEs stress me out. Not necessarily because they’re too hard, but because I’m doing 9 GCSEs and I feel like my head is about to explode. It’s so hard to focus on one GCSE, so I’m wondering how everyone else is coping.

MANY say to make a timetable but if you think you would struggle to follow one create a checklist for yourself with all your subjects and the amount of times you feel you need to take on them however do not be biased and study one subject longer than the other cause its easier instead focus more attention on the subjects your weaker at but make sure not to forget the others also for science depending on what exam board you are following the specification is very good and you should follo that through
MAKE SURE TO NOT STRESS AND START REVISING NOW!!!
Original post by ZahraKhanxx
MANY say to make a timetable but if you think you would struggle to follow one create a checklist for yourself with all your subjects and the amount of times you feel you need to take on them however do not be biased and study one subject longer than the other cause its easier instead focus more attention on the subjects your weaker at but make sure not to forget the others also for science depending on what exam board you are following the specification is very good and you should follo that through
MAKE SURE TO NOT STRESS AND START REVISING NOW!!!

That is so true. Many people have warned me about the disadvantages of a revision timetable. Thank you very much for the advice.
Original post by Raven’s eye
GCSEs stress me out.

You're going to be having panic attacks on the hour when you reach A-level.
Original post by Jackudy3
You're going to be having panic attacks on the hour when you reach A-level.

😶😨
You still have loads of time to get revising, so don't stress about that. As many have said, make a checklist for the revision you need to do, or allocate a slot each day to consolidating your knowledge on one subject. For example, an hour of English Poetry revision on Monday, an hour of Maths Trigonometry revision on Tuesday... By breaking it down into smaller chunks, it will seem much more manageable & you'll have less stress.

My other advice is to make sure you have time to relax and recuperate - getting enough sleep is essential to feeling less stressed as well. If you have many extra-curricular activities, you may want to pause a few (but some can be a welcome break from school).

The really important thing is to have a good work-life balance. At the end of the day, as long as you get good enough grades for Sixth Form (rarely more than a 6), then it doesn't matter what your GCSE grades are - so you don't need to stress over them too much.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest