The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Received wrong offer from Durham

I applied to Durham for MEng Computer Science and got an offer back today for MEng General Engineering for:
'AAA with an A or above in maths only reduced from A*AA'

Confused?

Scroll to see replies

Not sure what would've gone wrong, but it most definitely seems like a genuine error. Email their Admissions Tutor informing them of their error seeing as its an offer for the wrong course you've applied for.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Update: I have called up Durham admissions and they put me on contact with an admissions tutor who said this was human error and they'll amend the offer asap hopefully by Monday. I asked the women on the phone if this means I've definitely got an offer from Durham for the course I applied and she said 'Im not really allowed to confirm that as its not my job to give out offers but In this case yes I think it does bit best wait till Monday'
They said it was a human error while giving out the offer they input the wrong course code
Original post by Mrfabalas257
I applied to Durham for MEng Computer Science and got an offer back today for MEng General Engineering for:
'AAA with an A or above in maths only reduced from A*AA'

Confused?

Durham University's Computer Science is trying to double its student numbers at the moment, so should make getting in a bit easier.

SS
Original post by Supersaps
Durham University's Computer Science is trying to double its student numbers at the moment, so should make getting in a bit easier.

SS

Thanks for the information! I'm lucky then. Btw where did you get that information from?
Thanks for the information! I'm lucky then. Btw where did you get that information from?

recently studied there
recently studied there

Did you enjoy your time there? What's the department like? Is it up to standard?
They are already giving out offers? I thought they take ages to give out offers, When did you apply? I've also applied for Meng computer science
Original post by Ismaeel Ali
They are already giving out offers? I thought they take ages to give out offers, When did you apply? I've also applied for Meng computer science

I applied 02/10/18
I applied 02/10/18

Thats actually insane, I might hear back from then by the end of next month, I applied ten days after you.
Congrats on the offer though and hope it all gets sorted out
Original post by Ismaeel Ali
Thats actually insane, I might hear back from then by the end of next month, I applied ten days after you.
Congrats on the offer though and hope it all gets sorted out

Yeah hopefully just waiting for them to change it now from general engineering to computer science
UPDATE: My UCAS track has now been updated and changed and i have recieved an OFFER for MEng Computer Science for "AAA OR A*AB" buzzing as their entry requirements are usually A*AA

SS

Unfortunate initials.
Reply 14
UPDATE: My UCAS track has now been updated and changed and i have recieved an OFFER for MEng Computer Science for "AAA OR A*AB" buzzing as their entry requirements are usually A*AA

Haven't heard anything back yet :/ applied on Sept 19...but congrats! Durham CS has a somewhat negative reputation for lack of research, what made you apply regardless if I may ask?
Original post by solark
Haven't heard anything back yet :/ applied on Sept 19...but congrats! Durham CS has a somewhat negative reputation for lack of research, what made you apply regardless if I may ask?

It has fantastic reputation as a university as a whole and often comparable to oxbridge. I also loved the style the uni had and fell in love with "Castle". It is also very high up on the league tables.
Original post by solark

Seems a bit like you're trying to bring him down. Maybe it's not what you intended but still
Original post by That'sGreat
Seems a bit like you're trying to bring him down. Maybe it's not what you intended but still

^ I thought that as well but I don't understand if he thinks it isn't very good why would he apply
^ I thought that as well but I don't understand if he thinks it isn't very good why would he apply

I don't take CS but am applying for Durham. You are probably right in saying it's just below Oxbridge, it has fantastic teaching and honestly research has nothing to do with you as an undergraduate, it's for grad level
It's not a bad university, but the students tend to be utterly delusional about their own abilities and what they deserve from life. The fact it LARPs as Oxford with the layout and tutorial structure is painfully tragic.

Quick Reply

Latest