The Student Room Group

If I say ‘physics degree’ or would physics be with capital letter?

For personal statement for example

Scroll to see replies

@shooks can help with this :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Jijimomani

Use Physics for the actual name of the course, whereas the subject is physics. So if you do a degree called MSci Physics you will learn about the fundamental building blocks and forces of nature and how quantum physics and relativity help us understand the world around us...

Lowercase, please. :smile: Always lowercase for subject names (physics, chemistry, economics etc), unless you're talking about languages (English, French. Maths etc).

On TSR, we cap up course titles though. GCSE Physics, A-level Economics etc.

Good luck with the application!
Reply 4
Original post by shooks
Lowercase, please. :smile: Always lowercase for subject names (physics, chemistry, economics etc), unless you're talking about languages (English, French. Maths etc).

Is Maths a language? :beard:
Original post by shooks

On TSR, we cap up course titles though. GCSE Physics, A-level Economics etc.

Good luck with the application!

Thanks :smile: but how about A-level English literature does that have to be English Literature or is lower case for literature fine ?
Reply 6

Oooh where you applying for Physics
Reply 7
Original post by Doonesbury

Mathematics is the language with which God has written the universe.
-Galileo Galilei
Original post by M4cc4n4
Oooh where you applying for Physics

I’m not 😭 I just knew it would get more attention
Reply 9

Im not angry, just disappointed.
is lower case for literature fine ?

It is both fine and, what is more important, correct. As has been said, subject names are common nouns, unless they are languages. Literature is not a language, but English is; hence, English literature.
Original post by Good bloke
It is both fine and, what is more important, correct. As has been said, subject names are common nouns, unless they are languages. Literature is not a language, but English is; hence, English literature.

Perfect thanks
Original post by M4cc4n4
Im not angry, just disappointed.

I’m sorry :frown:
Original post by Good bloke

You seem really smart! Ok so what if I’m saying A-level psychology do you agree that it should be A-level Psychology in that case. Perfectionist tendencies :frown:

:lol:
Original post by Doonesbury

Oh dear lord, I've been staring at a screen for too long. Was thinking German, typed maths...gah.

I need a personal sub-editor...
Original post by shooks
Oh dear lord, I've been staring at a screen for too long. Was thinking German, typed maths...gah.

Ok so I’m also quoting a book but it’s a long ass title, can I just quote the first two words of what comes before the colon in the title? Should I quote in “...” or ‘...’
Original post by shooks

Not quoting out of the book just quoting the book title
Reply 18
Original post by shooks

@Puddles the Monkey !!!!
Not quoting out of the book just quoting the book title

No need to put quotation marks (of either kind) around book titles. I'd say when you're working with limited space - which you definitely are in a PS - it would be fine to abbreviate the title a bit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending