The Student Room Group

Student finance - open uni - maintenance loan - disabled

Hi,

I am applying for a maintenance loan for part time distance learning at open uni on the basis of not being able to attend a brick uni. I am already 50% through my degree. But on previous years I only applied for the tuition fee loan because I was under the impression that nobody could have a maintenance loan for open uni.

I have not submitted evidence yet. I am going to ask my GP to write a letter but there is no advice online as to how much detail needs to be given in the letter. I am autistic and adhd. I rely very heavily on my support network to manage life so cannot move away from them. I cannot take public transport or walk to places alone.

Could I have some clarification on what the letter needs to include please?

Also, some sources say that I must also supply details of an equivalent course at a brick uni that I wanted to attend? I am a bit confused by this. I did not want to attend or apply to a brick uni because I knew I wouldn’t be able to go. Am I just supposed to google a similar degree? Just seems a bit odd!

Thanks for any help
Original post by Megforr
Hi,

I am applying for a maintenance loan for part time distance learning at open uni on the basis of not being able to attend a brick uni. I am already 50% through my degree. But on previous years I only applied for the tuition fee loan because I was under the impression that nobody could have a maintenance loan for open uni.

I have not submitted evidence yet. I am going to ask my GP to write a letter but there is no advice online as to how much detail needs to be given in the letter. I am autistic and adhd. I rely very heavily on my support network to manage life so cannot move away from them. I cannot take public transport or walk to places alone.

Could I have some clarification on what the letter needs to include please?

Also, some sources say that I must also supply details of an equivalent course at a brick uni that I wanted to attend? I am a bit confused by this. I did not want to attend or apply to a brick uni because I knew I wouldn’t be able to go. Am I just supposed to google a similar degree? Just seems a bit odd!

Thanks for any help

Hi there,

Medical evidence from your GP and/or Consultant confirming that your condition prevents you from travelling to/from your HEP and physically attending a higher education course.
Additionally, you can send more information to support the required evidence above. This is not essential but can help your application. Information can include but is not limited to;

- Evidence that you has discussed with your HEP about the facilities available, accessibility and why the HEP cannot accommodate your requirements to physically attend. This could be emails between yourself and the HEP
- Details about any current employment you have/had or benefits you claim. This should outline any difficulties you have has
How the disability affects your day to day life

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending