The Student Room Group
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

Loneliness

Hey everyone,

Im a mature student (27) currently in my second year studying at Brighton. I live at home so haven't had the opportunity to meet other people on campus and the other people on my course are mostly 18-21 so not people I would usually hang out with out of uni. I also have a life limiting illness which has made it really hard for me to attend things like societies because of hospital appointments/fatigue and generally being unwell.

Not sure why Im posting here. Maybe just to see if anyone has any advice or if anyone is in a similar situation. I guess being unwell is really getting to me and being lonely, having moved from up North a few years ago having left all my friends up there has made me feel miserable so wanted to reach out.

Thanks in advance.
El
Hi

I realise you're probably looking for other students' input, but I just wanted to make sure that you are aware of the services the university provide that might be helpful.

The Disability & Dyslexia Team supports students with medical conditions, contact the team or check the link below for more information.
[email protected] tel: 01273 643799
https://www.brighton.ac.uk/current-students/my-studies/declaring-a-disability-or-learning-difficulty/index.aspx

Student Support & Guidance Tutors (SSGTs)
SSGTs offer students support and advice with a range of issues, more information and contact details are included here: https://www.brighton.ac.uk/current-students/my-student-life/student-support-and-guidance-tutors/index.aspx

When I was at Uni I found societies a very valuable source of support. I had a small child, so the mature students and parents societies were really great, and there was no expectation of you turning up to events if it was difficult, I still got support from the officers of the socieities via email etc.
Brighton Students' Union 'Mature and Part-time Student Society'

There are also officers of the Students' Union who represent and help students, there's more information about the volunteer officers here https://www.brightonsu.com/changethings/volunteerofficers/

I hope some of this info is useful

Shiv
Accommodation Services

Hey everyone,

Im a mature student (27) currently in my second year studying at Brighton. I live at home so haven't had the opportunity to meet other people on campus and the other people on my course are mostly 18-21 so not people I would usually hang out with out of uni. I also have a life limiting illness which has made it really hard for me to attend things like societies because of hospital appointments/fatigue and generally being unwell.

Not sure why Im posting here. Maybe just to see if anyone has any advice or if anyone is in a similar situation. I guess being unwell is really getting to me and being lonely, having moved from up North a few years ago having left all my friends up there has made me feel miserable so wanted to reach out.

Thanks in advance.
El
(edited 5 years ago)
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by being.el
Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance.
El

What do you study?
Reply 3
Hey,

I am retaking my a-levels so I can understand how you feel about your peers being younger than you because I feel the same thing and all my friends pretty much left for uni. I dont really see myself making friends with the people in this year so I'm always in the school library in the corner. The way I'm dealing with it is just by keeping myself occupied with revision or in my free time i like to read manga and books.

Hope this helps.
Hello ElI am not sure if you are still checking messages on here. I hope you are getting on well in Brighton. I am 34 and about to move to Brighton to study a postgraduate course in social work and I am a little apprehensive as I don't know anyone. If you wanted to chat I would be happy to help if I can and would love some tips from you about living in Brighton.Katie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending