The Student Room Group

Welsh Bacc - Should I make my personal statement about the degree I'm interested in

As I'm Welsh, I'm subjected to Welsh Bacc, and next year I will have to do an individual project. I'm interested in studying computer science at uni, but I'm not sure what I would write about regarding it. I have a few other ideas that are completely unrelated to Computing, but I'm wondering if I should choose a topic relating to the degree I'm interested in. If I make my project related to computing could I put it on my personal statement?

EDIT - Personal Investigation not statement
(edited 5 years ago)
Are you doing Advanced Level or National?
Original post by a-rose02
Are you doing Advanced Level or National?

Advanced
I wrote in my personal statement about how mine helped develop research skills in my degree subject, which my head of year said is something unis look for (:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by FanaticalWarlock
As I'm Welsh, I'm subjected to Welsh Bacc, and next year I will have to do an individual project. I'm interested in studying computer science at uni, but I'm not sure what I would write about regarding it. I have a few other ideas that are completely unrelated to Computing, but I'm wondering if I should choose a topic relating to the degree I'm interested in. If I make my project related to computing could I put it on my personal statement?

EDIT - Personal Investigation not statement

yep

If you've got the chance and you can think of a good project then it's well worth using the opportunity to do something relevant
http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/why_oxford/background_reading.html#Some_more_practical_activities isn't project specific but is worth a read for some ideas (and will apply for almost all CS courses - even if you're not interested in Oxford it's just good advice :yes: )
Original post by FanaticalWarlock
Advanced

I think you can include it on your personal statement, at the very least it’s something you can bring up in interviews. It is entirely up to you in terms of choice; I’m in a similar boat to you, but I feel like it is good to have a topic related to the degree/ career you’re interested in at the very least. Try finding an idea that incorporates some of your other interests into computing, as a 6000 word project is going to be hard to write without having interest in the topic.

Quick Reply

Latest