The Student Room Group

Qualifications null and void after 5 years? what to do?

Hello and good afternoon.
I have recently been thinking more about gaining a degree in computing mainly the computer science and i.t field or something alike. It has been a long time and i have been through a lot in my life but this seems more prevalent now more than ever. I raised the avenue with a few friends and was shot down with the whole after five years your previous qualifications are null and void? Is this true? i did acquire two b's three c's and one d at school and in college level 3 btec nat cert in business and management, ict level 2, level 2 btec in customer service and communications level 3. That’s without breaking down the different subjects and their grades. College was passed on june 2008. I started uni for a degree in business and management but was unfortunately homeless on the streets and in a bad way for a while, a changed man now and in full time employment as a shop manager for over 7years now but this is dragging and i want to push myself further now that i have a stable future ahead of me. Where would i start? Open uni and keep the job or full time student with a part time job? Would i have to start fresh? I’m a bit lost at the moment people's, any help and a point in the right direction would be amazing and thank you for taking the time to read my worries :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by thewillestwill
I have recently been thinking more about gaining a degree in computing mainly the computer science and i.t field or something alike. It has been a long time and i have been through a lot in my life but this seems more prevalent now more than ever. I raised the avenue with a few friends and was shot down with the whole after five years your previous qualifications are null and void? Is this true? i did acquire two b's three c's and one d at school and in college level 3 btec nat cert in business and management, ict level 2, level 2 btec in customer service and communications level 3. That’s without breaking down the different subjects and their grades. College was passed on june 2008. I started uni for a degree in business and management but was unfortunately homeless on the streets and in a bad way for a while, a changed man now and in full time employment as a shop manager for over 7years now but this is dragging and i want to push myself further now that i have a stable future ahead of me. Where would i start? Open uni and keep the job or full time student with a part time job? Would i have to start fresh? I’m a bit lost at the moment people's, any help and a point in the right direction swould be amazing and thank you for taking the time to read my worries :smile:

There is some useful information here

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/student-life/mature-undergraduate-students

There are a lot of mature students on this site and you might find some of the posts on the Mature Students forum interesting.
Reply 2
I have recently been thinking more about gaining a degree in computing mainly the computer science and i.t field or something alike. It has been a long time and i have been through a lot in my life but this seems more prevalent now more than ever. I raised the avenue with a few friends and was shot down with the whole after five years your previous qualifications are null and void? Is this true? i did acquire two b's three c's and one d at school and in college level 3 btec nat cert in business and management, ict level 2, level 2 btec in customer service and communications level 3. That’s without breaking down the different subjects and their grades. College was passed on june 2008. I started uni for a degree in business and management but was unfortunately homeless on the streets and in a bad way for a while, a changed man now and in full time employment as a shop manager for over 7years now but this is dragging and i want to push myself further now that i have a stable future ahead of me. Where would i start? Open uni and keep the job or full time student with a part time job? Would i have to start fresh? I’m a bit lost at the moment people's, any help and a point in the right direction would be amazing and thank you for taking the time to read my worries :smile:

Original post by marple
There are a lot of mature students on this site and you might find some of the posts on the Mature Students forum interesting.

Moved to the Mature Students forum :smile:
Reply 3
Although some universities/courses do ask for recent academic qualifications too. That's possibly what they are referring to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your qualifications aren't null and void, but many universities will ask that mature students have done some substantial study in the last 2 years. Sometimes having a professional job that requires research analysis and paper writing is enough, but usually people do a few OU modules.
I think your friends might mean that a uni would require evidence of previous study. As suggested OU modules are a good way, you can study from home. Alternatively to OU is an access course, does what it says on the tin, gives you access to university. You can either go to college or online via a distance learning If you are in Scotland check out swap access to he courses, if not check your local college websites to see what they do. There are many different access courses depending on what you want to study at uni, for me it was access to social sciences which got me onto a history and philosophy degree. I think there are specific access courses for computer science, but am not sure. Before you sign up to anything, remember to contact any uni you are interested in to see what they would require from you to be accepted and what courses they would accept. Personally I chose to go full-time for my access, on my course many others also worked part time and managed fine. Be sure to check out what benefits you would be entitled to as well as what funding the college offers (in Scotland this differed per college despite them all being a swap access course). Also, check out the advanced learner loan, this would pay for your access course (distance learning as well as college) in Scotland the loan is written off if you move onto uni. There are many on here working full-time and doing distance learning as well that will be able to tell you more about that route 😊. I will say I have no regrets, I am 37 and in first year of uni and love it, it has been the best decision I made.
I meant evidence of previous recent study 😊
Reply 7
Access course.
I did my Access Course in 1998. They didn’t ask me for anything more recent.
Reply 9

It's true i'm afraid.
When I was unemployed I took a short course at an adult education provider. The subject of IT qualifications came up and I told her I had one from the mid 2000's. She then said new legislation has come into effect which voids your qualification if you have not worked in the industry for a few years [or something like that], ...or she said that you need to get a new qualification every few years or it becomes void. She said the reason for this is because the fast pace the IT industry changes at.

I was pretty pissed off.
Thank you so much for taking the time to advise me and pointing me in the right direction guys and gals, I’m going to have to give this some food for thought and put more time into planning this avenue out. I will keep the forum updated on my journey and once figured out fully i will post a guide as help for anyone in a similar situation as myself. Have a wonderful day and as always stay positive :h:
Reply 11
Thank you so much for taking the time to advise me and pointing me in the right direction guys and gals, I’m going to have to give this some food for thought and put more time into planning this avenue out. I will keep the forum updated on my journey and once figured out fully i will post a guide as help for anyone in a similar situation as myself. Have a wonderful day and as always stay positive :h:

The first thing to check is if the universities you are considering actually mind about this stuff. Some don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending