The Student Room Group

The Ultimate "OMG Help me with my EE" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Cornish-IB-Kid
Does anyone know If tables and diagrams count on the word limit for ee becasue if they do I have gone over by about 1000 words if they dont, I should be ok.

Tables, diagrams, charts and annotations do not count, however captions for figures do count [i.e. graphs, pictures, tables etc. - it is very important you clearly label all such items as "figures" for brownie points with your marker]. It would be extremely hard for anyone who did it in a quantitative subject like Geography, Economics or a Natural Science to collect enough data and analyse it within a 4,000 word limit if they were both included :biggrin:

AFAIK footnotes count. Not sure about endnotes or the Bibliography - different guides say different things.

If you're not sure, your IBC will be able to help you out.
I have to decide by sunday what my ee is going to be on:
At first i was going to do geo but now im going to do english:
how does this topic sound? do u think it needs narrowing down? comments would be so very appreciated as i am very confusedd

In what ways did Uncle Tom's Cabin have an impact on the Abolitionist movement ?
Hi!
I have to decide on my ee topic by sunday
i was thinking ofwriting:\

In what ways is Uncle Tom's cabin a persuasive novel in direction of Abolitionish movement

can i narrow it down somehoww
HELP!! thanks
So I'm doing mine on English Literature.
My teacher suggested 2 plays "The Glass Managerie" and "Death of A Salesman". She told me that the two plays share a similar theme; absence of the father and it's impact on the family...
But I'm looking for something else, a better theme...
has anyone read the 2 plays?
Any ideas?
Thank you so much for your time!:smile:
satisfactionatlast
So I'm doing mine on English Literature.
My teacher suggested 2 plays "The Glass Managerie" and "Death of A Salesman". She told me that the two plays share a similar theme; absence of the father and it's impact on the family...
But I'm looking for something else, a better theme...
has anyone read the 2 plays?
Any ideas?
Thank you so much for your time!:smile:

it seems wrong to me that your teacher suggested the plays to you even though you haven't read either one, although perhaps I'm not reading the situation right?

also, to simplify the question I posed on the last page: does anyone know how well character analysis type English A1 EEs go over with the IB? I haven't heard of anyone doing them so I'm wondering whether it's because the IB doesn't like them or because it's just generally difficult.
Reply 145
HI everybody! i need serious help with my ee my topic is due in a couple of days and i will be very grateful for you helping me. I am thinking of writing about women rights. And i was thinking of comparing women rights in the west and in the middle east then and now of course. Is it any good? do i have to narrow it down? any other suggestions would be appreciated thanx
delightedly
it seems wrong to me that your teacher suggested the plays to you even though you haven't read either one, although perhaps I'm not reading the situation right?

also, to simplify the question I posed on the last page: does anyone know how well character analysis type English A1 EEs go over with the IB? I haven't heard of anyone doing them so I'm wondering whether it's because the IB doesn't like them or because it's just generally difficult.

thanks for ur help...I was thinking if I should do it on "Possibility of A Time Machine?"
How's that? Too absurd?
sweera
HI everybody! i need serious help with my ee my topic is due in a couple of days and i will be very grateful for you helping me. I am thinking of writing about women rights. And i was thinking of comparing women rights in the west and in the middle east then and now of course. Is it any good? do i have to narrow it down? any other suggestions would be appreciated thanx

You will have to narrow down your topic A LOT more. Find one or two aspects that you want to compare (sexual rights, clothing differences, etc) and you could also narrow down which country in the Middle East you want to analyze.

You'd also have to be careful of not being bias to the west, or you'd lose points.

satisfactionatlast
thanks for ur help...I was thinking if I should do it on "Possibility of A Time Machine?"
How's that? Too absurd?

I don't quite understand what you're saying. Do you want to change your subject area to a physics essay and talk about the possibility of a time machine? If so, you'd find that IB doesn't like those types of essays, as students often do a poor job explaining and it doesn't allow "in-depth personal analysis" within the word count. (Physics EE guidelines)

If it's a play/novel/English subject related, then it'd be ok, as long as you find some element to analyze. :smile:
hey everybody,
i need some help with the reasearch question for my ee in history SL. i think i would like to write about mahatma Ghandi or the ( i do not know how it is called in english:woo: ) the wall of china.
but i have absolutely no idea for a reaserch question...

ideas??
thanks for your help!!
Reply 149
I am not entirely sure where to post this, please tell me if anything needs to be changed

This is my first post so i'll introduce myself...

My name is Joe, currently aged 17 and in year 13 in school in Kent, Uk 'doing' the International Baccalaureate. At Higher I am taking Physics, Philosophy and Computer Science. At standard: English, Maths and Italian ab initio... I have an interest in Physics, in the Feb of 08 I went to CERN to view the Atlas and CMS experiments/detectors - they weren't finished at this time but it was a interesting visit.

Right.... not really sure how much of that is helpful but focusing back on the subject of the post...

The extended essay is an essay on a subject of your choice, coming to around 4000 words ± 10% ish

I have chosen Physics, at this time I have performed an experiment to find the variation of light intensity with voltage of LED lights to (try to) discover what the 'best' colour would be to send data down fibre optic cable, idea being that the colour which (ideally) needed the least voltage and had the greatest variation in light levels would be best?

Now, I have varied results for a yellow LED (wavelength 590nm), Green LED (wl 535nm), Red LED (wl 625nm), Blue LED (470nm)

This is what I have done because before the holidays I needed to have an experiment done, I am not fully sure what to do next

I have thought about possibly doing the essay on the physics of broadband? a cost effectiveness idea could be a good tie in for using different colours in the efficiency experiment. Possibly also contacting broadband companies to ask them on their thoughts for what is better, copper or fibre optics or any other possible ways to go about it? I thought I could write a lot about the basics of fibre optics, a little on manufacturing, LEDs, the photoelectric effect, Snell's Law, materials, broadband, a little on copper as a possible rival,

At the moment that seems most likely, but I am yet to have a full title for the essay but as you can see I have gone about it slightly bizarrely...

Coming to what I need, possibly some pointers or ideas? I am unsure of how to structure the essay, ANY help or ideas will be greatly appreciated and taken into my notes for thinking about

I really hope this makes sense, and isn't just a block of text that is horrible to understand,

Joe
TheJoe

The extended essay is an essay on a subject of your choice, coming to around 4000 words ± 10% ish

No, the MAXIMUM is 4000 words, so try to keep it between 3500-4000..

As for doing EE in sciences, you need to have a practical experiment to achieve more than a C (ie, not just a bunch of text citing sources, you need raw data from YOUR OWN experiment)

Try to Google around for EEs in physics, particularly those with an A. And by ALL MEANS get a hold of the EE guide and look at the physics sections, it has all the DOs and Dont's..
Reply 151
laissezfaire

You need to have a practical experiment to achieve more than a C

Ok thanks for the note on 3500-4000 word. At my school I was told 4000 + or - 10% but thanks for the clarification.

I have performed an experiment, I didn't really make this obvious, I used four different coloured LEDs. Connected to a power supply, measured the voltage change (from 0 up to just below the point where the LED would 'explode') at the same time as the light level change using a program called Datadisc PT. I have results for Green, Red, Blue and Yellow LEDs.

I am just unsure of how to proceed with the EE
Reply 152
hi, everyone. my school apparently does not get us started on the ee until around march next year, but i thought it would be a good idea to start thinking about what topic i wanted to write about. i've been thinking about a comparison between stephen dedalus and holden caulfield, from "portrait of the artist" and "catcher in the rye". could i have anyone's opinion on whether this is a good topic that i can really dig into for 4000 words?
Reply 153
you just cant compare the whole two novels lol you should compare a single theme/characterization between the two novels
I think you're on the right track - a comparison between the two protagonists - but you're probably going to need to get more specific. Something like their attitude towards something, or a common characteristic they have that you think relates to the greater theme of the novel. Something like that.
Can Someone please please help me, Im from Colombia and my extended essay is about the topic of dreams, my second draft is due september 18th, can someone please tell me what to write in it, my supervisor does nothing more than get mad at me, please help S.O.S
Reply 156
SummerFLY28
Can Someone please please help me, Im from Colombia and my extended essay is about the topic of dreams, my second draft is due september 18th, can someone please tell me what to write in it, my supervisor does nothing more than get mad at me, please help S.O.S

you need to tell us more information about your EE if we're to help :/
its about to what extent are dreams an interpretation of the objectives we want to achieve
SummerFLY28
its about to what extent are dreams an interpretation of the objectives we want to achieve

That sounds interesting. What subject area is that for, out of curiosity?
Reply 159
The EE is so much work and you nearly get nothing for it. I killed myself for mine and my teachers said it was really good and I only recieved an average grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending