The Student Room Group

Have your say: University acceptance rates for students with lower grades rises

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If you miss your grade by a few marks/ a whole grade but.... GETTING INTO UNI WITH 3 D's and stuff like that will just dilute the value and meaning of holding a degree when Jim, Bob, and his uncle can get one
Reply 21
Original post by FloralHybrid
Hmm, I've no idea - Although I imagine the fact that the course was BA Drama, which isn't as competitive, factored into the relaxed entry requirements.

It's Streatham, but the drama interview/workshop is important and they must have been impressed.
Reply 22
Original post by RogerOxon
What about people that did better than their predicted grades? How is this fair to them?

Frankly, a particular degree course requires a certain entry level. Accepting candidates with significantly lower grades (not what you were advocating, but what is happening) is going to cause everyone involved issues at some point.

They can use Adjustment (assuming they exceed the offer, not necessarily their predictions).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by Doonesbury
They can use Adjustment (assuming they exceed the offer, not necessarily their predictions).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know this is specific to me but there isn't adjustement to medicine is there? Cos if not the @RogerOxon is correct in that fact that the 60% who got 4 rejections would be done an injustice if e.g. someone with A*AA was rejected but someone got in withAAB
Reply 24
Original post by Nukayes
I know this is specific to me but there isn't adjustement to medicine is there? Cos if not the @RogerOxon is correct in that fact that the 60% who got 4 rejections would be done an injustice if e.g. someone with A*AA was rejected but someone got in withAAB

Adjustment requires a Firm Offer. And no you can't usually Adjust into Medicine, but you can go into medicine via Clearing.

There's more to a successful Medicine application than just A-level grades.
Entry grades are there for a reason, uni courses are hard. Fair enough if it was the odd grade below but people with DDD etc aren't really cut out for it tbh
It's a good and bad thing. Personally, I believe that University should be available to anyone as long as they put in the hard work. But if unis are letting in students who are only in for the parties booze whatever then there's an issue.
It's Streatham, but the drama interview/workshop is important and they must have been impressed.

They actually said they didn’t have an interview or workshop - It was all done on PS, predicted grades and references. Which surprised me.
Original post by RogerOxon
What about people that did better than their predicted grades? How is this fair to them?

Frankly, a particular degree course requires a certain entry level. Accepting candidates with significantly lower grades (not what you were advocating, but what is happening) is going to cause everyone involved issues at some point.

Do you mean that for students who work hard to exceed their predicted grades, they may not think it’s fair that someone else got let in who didn’t quite meet the criteria?

I see your point, and I definitely mean more of a one or at a push two grades below type deal. Not a “needed AAA but got BCD but it worked”, entry requirements.

I’m not sure how universities decide to who to let in based on who didn’t meet the offer, but if the system works that students who fell slightly short have their application evaluated, and all areas are looked at - I think it’s fair that admissions then make a decision as to whether or not they’ll let them in, as oppose to just “Nope, didn’t meet the grades, no chance”
(edited 5 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but they cannot get a place if it's been given to an offer holder that achieved lower grades. If offers are given primarily on predicted grades, then adjustment candidates, with the grades, ought to take priority over offer holders without them, IMO.

Universities that interview can make more individual decisions.
Reply 30
Adjustment requires a Firm Offer. And no you can't usually Adjust into Medicine, but you can go into medicine via Clearing.

There's more to a successful Medicine application than just A-level grades.

1) Would I be correct in saying SGUL, liverpool, leicester and the newer ones are ususally one clearing?
2) Also I have a conditional at Warwick for Biomed, is it lets say I got A*AA would I be able to adjust into other Warwick courses or any Biomed courses acreoos the country?

Thanks XD
Reply 31
Original post by Nukayes
1) Would I be correct in saying SGUL, liverpool, leicester and the newer ones are ususally one clearing?
2) Also I have a conditional at Warwick for Biomed, is it lets say I got A*AA would I be able to adjust into other Warwick courses or any Biomed courses acreoos the country?

Thanks XD

I'd say we are taking the thread off-topic.
1) you'd be better asking about Medicine clearing options in the Medicine forum :wink:
2) in theory yes, but not all courses may have places in Adjustment.
(edited 5 years ago)
Another theory:

Top unis "stole" the better candidates so they end having to take people with lower grades than their offer
Original post by yasminxsarah
Could any of you who have experienced this, outline which uni it regards? Thanks.

I was predicted ABB and got into bangor (and accepted into my insurance choice aberdeen) with BCD, bangor wanted BBC but I got an unconditional and Aberdeen wanted BBB.
Original post by CoolCavy
Entry grades are there for a reason, uni courses are hard. Fair enough if it was the odd grade below but people with DDD etc aren't really cut out for it tbh

I actually disagree with this, especially as someone who doesn't exam well, assessment methods are a lot different in uni compared to a levels (at least that's what I've found) not to mention the fact that for a lot of courses you dont need to be 'book smart' and be able to remember lots of information, problem solving and occupational specific skills are a lot more important most of the time.
Also, one of the main reasons entry requirements are so high for many unis is because of high demand, you could be doing the same course at Oxbridge or a less prestigious uni, but because there's more demand to go to one of the top universities, they get to pick the 'best' people.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by winegums4
I actually disagree with this, especially as someone who doesn't exam well, assessment methods are a lot different in uni compared to a levels (at least that's what I've found) not to mention the fact that for a lot of courses you dont need to be 'book smart' and be able to remember lots of information, problem solving and occupational specific skills are a lot more important most of the time.

You tend to do subjects related to what you want to study though, like someone who wants to study physics at uni (which has exams and revision involved ) will do exam heavy subjects like maths or physics etc whereas me for example who wanted to do design at uni took art, history and product design which are more coursework based and my uni course is 100% coursework now. If I had got a D at A level product design I don't think I should be doing it for a degree, A-levels aren't the be all and end all like it doesn't really matter if you got a B or an A in the grand scheme of things but they are enough of an indication to say that someone with grade D shouldn't be doing that subject at uni
A complete joke. Degree inflation is an unfortunate reality.

University isn't meant to be for everyone, some people simply are not cut-out for higher education and there is nothing wrong with that. Many other options are available.

It's a shame modern society pressures masses into obtaining degrees, with many of these being essentially useless and a colossal waste of time & money. Alternative routes can be a lot more rewarding...
I wish we could lose this ''everyone needs to go to university!!!'' mentality. The amount of people I know that are only at university because they didn't know what else to do or because they wanted to experience the ''university lifestyle'' is ridiculous. Like others have said, it simply isn't for everyone which is fine. Other routes (such as apprenticeships) really need to be promoted more.
Original post by TheTroll73
perhaps they are desperate for students

or they want to intake more even if not desperate

or they realized A levels do not test uni potential

or any non-contradictory combination of the above

my theories so far

As for A levels as a measure of Uni potential, I am getting much better grades at Uni than I ever did at A level. Sometimes the teaching and a new, better environment does wonders. As well as the fact that all my time is dedicated to a single relevant subject, as opposed to having my time split across a number of A level subjects were simply needed for UCAS tariff points/just to look good. Some people need the chance, though I imagine it doesn't account for all cases by any means.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending