The Student Room Group

What's more prestigious - science degree from Oxbridge or medicine at Russell Group?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If someone bases their decision on uni from this poll they should be forced to maintain at least a 2-mile distance from any university
Reply 21
Original post by ageshallnot
I was pricking your pomposity. You stated "we can agree" as if it were a statement of fact, but I simply don't agree. I have worked with enough Cambridge Maths and Nat Sci graduates to give me the very strong perception that - as a group - they are far more 'prestigious' than Cambridge medical graduates.

Ah okay, sorry I think that's a fair comment then. That's not actually what I meant when it said that, I was just trying to make sure nobody commented "well Oxbridge is in the Russell Group so Oxbridge med is the best" - I wasn't intentionally comparing NatSci or w/e to medicine.
Original post by Azeee
You've made some good points, but let me just ask you this - are you more impressed by the person who graduated from Keele with a medical degree, or someone who graduated from Oxford with a medical degree? (ignoring all other factors) Or are they really the same level of prestige to you in your head? If that's what you think then I believe you may be in the minority.

Are you like this if you need to go to accident and emergency?

"Sorry Dr. Smith, I know I'm having a heart attack, but you only did medicine at Imperial and I need a doctor who went to Oxford" :lol:
Reply 23
Are you saying there isn't any snobbery from people who studied at higher ranked med schools in the medical community, a community notorious for it's egos? The idea that such a person wouldn't be in the minority when it comes to determining the level of prestige their qualification holds seems fanciful to me. However, having said that I do agree with most of what you've said.
Reply 24
Original post by Sinnoh
If someone bases their decision on uni from this poll they should be forced to maintain at least a 2-mile distance from any university

Why do you think the poll isn't dead even then? Why is it not 50/50?
Original post by Azeee

The results of your poll don't mean anything, as it's a completely silly question.

I could as what's more prestigious, a driving license or a food hygiene qualification? There's no sensible answer as it depends what you want to do with it.
Reply 26
Original post by Azeee

Why does that matter?
Imagine someone thinking "wow, I had aspirations all my life of becoming a doctor but I guess I'll have to apply for maths now because of the p r e s t i g e"
Reply 27
Original post by jameswhughes
The results of your poll don't mean anything, as it's a completely silly question.

I could as what's more prestigious, a driving license or a food hygiene qualification? There's no sensible answer as it depends what you want to do with it.

But you can do both those things with relative ease so prestige is not a factor, they're not even mutually exclusive, whereas me doing both degrees, though possible, is a pretty bad plan.

Original post by Sinnoh
Why does that matter?
Imagine someone thinking "wow, I had aspirations all my life of becoming a doctor but I guess I'll have to apply for maths now because of the p r e s t i g e"

That's not really the point of the poll, it's to gauge the perception of each route and add that info to the list of mental data points when making the final decision. Obviously there are other, more important things to consider, I already said that in the OP.
Reply 28
I really am tired. Why is it that on TSR people seem obessed with prestige?
Original post by Azeee
But you can do both those things with relative ease so prestige is not a factor, they're not even mutually exclusive, whereas me doing both degrees, though possible, is a pretty bad plan.

That's not really the point of the poll, it's to gauge the perception of each route and add that info to the list of mental data points when making the final decision. Obviously there are other, more important things to consider, I already said that in the OP.

It's just a completely arbitrary measurement and a ridiculous way to compare things. If you want to be a doctor, then do medicine. If you want to do maths, then do maths. You seem to be under the impression that it's all a massive hierarchy where medicine is the top course and Cambridge is the best university, therefore medicine at Cambridge is the best course possible.

Like I said, different things are useful for different purposes.
Neither is prestigious on its own. Making a success of your career once you’ve got your degree is prestigious.

Being a world renowned neurosurgeon from Keele university is probably more prestigious than being a local primary school science teacher from Oxbridge.

But being Professor Stephen Hawking is probably also more prestigious than being an FY1 running around chasing up people’s blood results.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending