The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
no no no no EVERY uni has for AS grades... what they dont ask if for UMS marks of the AS, just Cambridge, if you have cashed your AS, you have to state them in your UCAS form!
~Bex~
I have 5 A*s and 5 As at GCSE, and before you all start on me, I know that those grades are good enough to apply. What worries me is that I also got 2 C's (in statistics and PE). Will that count against me? Also, I want to apply for history, but only got an A. Is this likely to be a problem? I love history, it's by far my favourite subject, and to be honest I was quite dissappointed with an A, and also slightly surprised, as I got A* in all my history mocks, and felt I worked harder in history than in some of the subjects where I got A*s!

Exact same happened to me...got my only A in History - one of my best, and favourite subjects! Still got an A at AS though so I shouldn't worry about it, you'll get an interview.
btw, no, honestly not a joke. why would it be? :confused:
Reply 43
skidjzu
btw, no, honestly not a joke. why would it be? :confused:

some people mock the oxbridge applicants by posting will iget in threads talking about uber gcse's and why they are so perfect etc, and then ask if they stand a chance of even having their application read..
Ah, I see. Well, considering that PPE's a pretty damn competitive subject to apply for, I was a little worried that the 'A' at GCSE Economics would cause alarm bells to go off in the admission people's heads. :/
Russell_G
if ya got 'bad' AS grades apply to oxford - they don't ask for ur AS grades when u apply, just ur GCSEs (my college foned up my skool n asked but it's skool policy not to tell) whereas cambridge request every1s AS grades (even though legally u don't have 2 say)

i had ABBB after AS and i got a place at oxf and ended with AAAb as i pulled my socks far past my waistline in the 2nd year... all i'll say is, there is no harm in applyin 2 oxbridge...

and in the case of economics, maths is far far more important than economics

You DO have to tell them your AS grades unless you've declined them.
To all people with "bad" GCSEs and not an A* in their subject, this was my situation:

GCSEs:
1 A* (Maths)
5 As (Physics, Chemistry, Religious Studies, English Lang. & English Lit.)
3 Bs (French, Geography, Biology)
1 C (History)

Predicted A-Levels:
5 As (Maths, F.Maths, Physics, Economics & Politics)

I got an AAA offer from The Queen's College, Oxford to read Physics in October 2004.

If you're ambitious, then my advice is to apply, regardless of grades as long as the prospectus says they will consider you.
Reply 47
I got worse grades than you!!! :frown: I hopefully get an interview!!!
Reply 48
smsmasters
Are my GCSEs good enough...for Oxford / Cambridge? (see sig) I know I have 12 GCSEs, but are they looking for students with straight A*s??? :confused:

i got an interview with 1 A*, 4 A's and the rest B's (i was predicted AAA at A-level) so they dont care that much about GCSE grades, although it is good to have the top grades in English lang, and maths (and science if applying for a science subject)
Reply 49
what about mine then 2A*, 5A, B, 2D. as there are so many experts.
Reply 50
thinktank
what about mine then 2A*, 5A, B, 2D. as there are so many experts.

What subject are you applying for, and what grade did you get in that at GCSE/AS? What were your AS grades and what are you predicted for A2? We need to know all that as well to even have a shot at saying something useful. Your GCSEs are ok, provided you got an A/A* in the subject you want to do/relevant subjects to it.
Reply 51
I'm just wondering... if I took the subjects for AS where I got Cs in at IGCSE... would they realise that I shouldnt have got those Cs?
kitsune
I'm just wondering... if I took the subjects for AS where I got Cs in at IGCSE... would they realise that I shouldnt have got those Cs?

Since ASs are harder, As and Bs in those should make up for the Cs, and since I think IGCSEs are seen as harder than British GCSEs, you should be fine :smile:
I know that I'm more than likely going to get an interview with my AS/predicted A2s so I'm not madly panicking, but I got a C in my Eng Lit GCSE. Will they mention this in the interview (the reason I ask is that I'm applying for maths, so Eng may be pretty irelevant), and if they will, can anyone suggest a decent excuse to explain it? (the actual reason is because we had about 4 teachers within the space of as many months... none of whom knew what had been covered by the others, plus I basically didn't like English).
Reply 54
ljfrugn
I know that I'm more than likely going to get an interview with my AS/predicted A2s so I'm not madly panicking, but I got a C in my Eng Lit GCSE. Will they mention this in the interview (the reason I ask is that I'm applying for maths, so Eng may be pretty irelevant), and if they will, can anyone suggest a decent excuse to explain it? (the actual reason is because we had about 4 teachers within the space of as many months... none of whom knew what had been covered by the others, plus I basically didn't like English).

It won't matter for maths. Even if you were applying for something else, having teachers change every thirty seconds is a good explanation
Helenia
What are you applying for?

If you mean me, then maths. I thought I'd mentioned that somewhere :rolleyes:.
Reply 56
ljfrugn
If you mean me, then maths. I thought I'd mentioned that somewhere :rolleyes:.

You did; I just didn't read it properly (hence subsequently deleted my post :redface:)

In which case I agree with H&E - it won't matter if you're a whizzkid at Maths.
Reply 57
Im thinking of applying for MEM (materials Economics and Management) at Ox - i got 4a* 5 a 3b at gcse and at AS i got an A in maths , an A in Physics, a B in chemistry and a D in politics - what do you think my chances are - will my hurt my chances loads?
ljfrugn

It won't matter if you're applying for maths, and having crap teachers is an OK excuse, especially if they know your school isn't very good, eg from its GCSE/A-level pass rate.
masterasg
Im thinking of applying for MEM (materials Economics and Management) at Ox - i got 4a* 5 a 3b at gcse and at AS i got an A in maths , an A in Physics, a B in chemistry and a D in politics - what do you think my chances are - will my hurt my chances loads?

Although the D in politics won't look impressive, it probably won't matter too much since it isn't relevant to the course. The B in chemistry might be questioned, but since Oxford offers are more often AAB than those at Cambridge, it shouldn't affect your chances that much as long as you do well at interview. Try to get an AAA prediction though.

Latest

Trending

Trending