The Student Room Group

What is this software trying to install on my computer?!

Please don’t hate on me I’m not a technology expert, this could just be nothing but I just got a notification through on my computer saying that a restart is required to “finish setting up this device: Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)” I have never heard of this before and I haven’t set anything new up on my computer recently. Could someone tell me what is is? Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Is your computer new? Is it a laptop?
If you said yes to both questions, you should probably finish setting it up
Reply 2
Hey, nice SAO profile picture. If you’re using any Bluetooth devices then I wouldn’t worry, just restart your devices it’s likely updating drivers for the device and just needs a system restart.
Reply 3
It may be a new update for your Bluetooth drivers, do you have a screenshot?
Reply 4
Original post by howtochangename
Is your computer new? Is it a laptop?
If you said yes to both questions, you should probably finish setting it up

It’s about a year old and yes it’s a laptop
Reply 5
Original post by hjc2001
Hey, nice SAO profile picture. If you’re using any Bluetooth devices then I wouldn’t worry, just restart your devices it’s likely updating drivers for the device and just needs a system restart.

I’m not using any Bluetooth devices, that’s what worries me...
Original post by Icykitten
It’s about a year old and yes it’s a laptop

Yeah, you should probably finish setting it up. If you click on the notification and click yes, agree, ok a few times then you should be good to go
Reply 7
Original post by PorkyPi
It may be a new update for your Bluetooth drivers, do you have a screenshot?

Here’s a screenshot:
B0C884FB-7740-4D82-ABB8-996F1EEC12EB.jpg.jpeg
That’s all it says
Reply 8
Original post by howtochangename
Yeah, you should probably finish setting it up. If you click on the notification and click yes, agree, ok a few times then you should be good to go

If I click it it just disappears and I can’t seem to find it in settings
Here’s a screenshot:
That’s all it says

Just do a restart then it will stop prompting you.
Reply 10
Original post by jameswhughes
Just do a restart then it will stop prompting you.

I’ve never seen this notification before though and I don’t have any Bluetooth devices near it. I’m just concerned because I have had lots a problems with this laptop and I don’t want to create another one
Here’s a screenshot:
That’s all it says

That's a driver, which is something I'm pretty sure most/all computers have. Even my laptop has one.
They need an update every once in a while which you need to restart your computer for.
My audio driver is really bad which is why I have to keep on disabling and enabling/updating it and every time I do that, I would have to restart my laptop.
I'm 99% sure it's nothing to worry about.

You can check it's a driver if you go to control panel and then go to "Device Manager" or "Driver". Type in driver in your Control Panel search box and they should appear under the Bluetooth heading.
I’ve never seen this notification before though and I don’t have any Bluetooth devices near it. I’m just concerned because I have had lots a problems with this laptop and I don’t want to create another one

It's just a driver update, Windows installs these all the time. There's nothing to fear - updates are made to be as simple as possible, so the most you'll need to do is press OK or do a restart.
Reply 14
Original post by I'm God
That's a driver, which is something I'm pretty sure most/all computers have. Even my laptop has one.
They need an update every once in a while which you need to restart your computer for.
My audio driver is really bad which is why I have to keep on disabling and enabling/updating it and every time I do that, I would have to restart my laptop.
I'm 99% sure it's nothing to worry about.

You can check it's a driver if you go to control panel and then go to "Device Manager" or "Driver". Type in driver in your Control Panel search box and they should appear under the Bluetooth heading.

Ah yes, it is there, thank you very much for the help I appreciate it 🙂
Reply 15
Thanks very much, I will do that 🙂
Reply 16
I’m just paranoid about everything I click on it now since it almost got infected with a virus (but it wasn’t a virus it was just scareware in the end) so I’m really careful about everything I do on my laptop so I was just checking
Ah yes, it is there, thank you very much for the help I appreciate it 🙂

No worries :smile:

And as Acsel said already, you should keep a back-up of all your data in case anything happens.
Reply 18
I haven’t got anything backed up really because I don’t have much on there, just some school work which is on a USB anyway, is this ok?
I haven’t got anything backed up really because I don’t have much on there, just some school work which is on a USB anyway, is this ok?

You should avoid USB sticks unless it's just temporarily moving things between computers, and even then it's easier with cloud storage these days. They're unreliable and can get lost or broken easily, don't use them to store important data.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending