The Student Room Group

DSA laptop

hi there. i am dyslexic and have had my disabled student’s allowance approved. i am getting funding for a laptop, but instead of using the agreed supplier I have found a better deal myself. does anyone know how much DSA/ student finance england put towards a laptop? also i am entitled to special software, does anyone know how this can be purchased and installed from the supplier (invate) if i purchased my own laptop? thankyou!
Reply 1
I'm not sure how much they put towards the laptop but you have to pay £200
You should get software but if you've had a laptop approved you should have had your needs assessment where they would give you the software. When you say your getting a laptop do you mean your eligible or you've had the letter from the government with the specs on it.
If you haven't had the needs assessment which it sounds like you haven't they will discuss challenges that you have and software to help such as a software that records lectures, reads things out etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Jess_Lomas
I'm not sure how much they put towards the laptop but you have to pay £200
You should get software but if you've had a laptop approved you should have had your needs assessment where they would give you the software. When you say your getting a laptop do you mean your eligible or you've had the letter from the government with the specs on it.
If you haven't had the needs assessment which it sounds like you haven't they will discuss challenges that you have and software to help such as a software that records lectures, reads things out etc.

hi you have misread i believe :smile: i have had my needs assessment and had my DSA approved. i was asking about getting a laptop myself instead of the supplier, i know how all the software works thankyou
Reply 3
Original post by atomicalex08
hi you have misread i believe :smile: i have had my needs assessment and had my DSA approved. i was asking about getting a laptop myself instead of the supplier, i know how all the software works thankyou

Oh yeah sorry, I read I am entitled to software to am I ooops sorry.
With the laptop provider I'm pretty sure you have to use the provider they give as they have deals with them, I didn't need the laptop so not 100% about it but all the other software has to come from that company even though many provide it so I think it is the same
With the software on the letter there should be an email address for a company such as ranstead or dsa support and you will be given one of these, email them with the DSA letter attached and they will be in contact with the devlivery of the software (mine came as links and codes in an email and then I installed it myself but if you are also getting a laptop you can ask them to install it)
So if you do get your own laptop then you get codes instead but I'm not sure you would be able to get a different one
Sorry again
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Hannahcgia
1 minute ago
Dear all,

My name is Hannah Giardelli, I am an MSc student studying Psychology and Education. I am looking for participants for my dissertation research project about the impact of sleep on memory consolidation for university students with dyslexia.

Participants should be university students, either with or without a diagnosis of dyslexia. Participation would involve completing a short memory task that should take no more than half an hour on one day and then another short task (no more than 10 minutes) the next day, following a period of overnight delay and sleep.

If you are interested in participating in this research project, please click the following link: https://research.sc/participant/logi...0-D8B83C2695C8

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me

This project has received ethical approval from the University of Sheffield.
Thank you for considering taking part,

Hannah Giardelli

The link isn't working

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending