The Student Room Group

Wanting to become a midwife in the future..

I am looking at advice on how I can increase my chances of being accepted on a midwifery BA course in the future. I understand it is extremely competitive and also a lot of work. I am currently 25 and have two young children under 5 with a third on the way (will the possibility of a 4th in around 2 years.. we will see how we go) and I would like to be at home with my children until they are all of school age, or potentially at a pre-school which covers a lot of hours.Therefore it would be around 4-8 years before I would be looking at applying to do the Midwifery degree at university when I can commit more time to it but I was wondering what things I can do at the mean time, preferably from home that would help me progress to where I need to be? The few options I've looked at are either doing some A levels from home (biology and potentially psychology and sociology) or doing an access to midwifery course online. Although I'm not sure if it would be worth waiting until my youngest is at pre-school and do a face-to-face access course. Any advice?Is there any point doing A levels and the access course? Thank you in advance.
Original post by ElleB22
I am looking at advice on how I can increase my chances of being accepted on a midwifery BA course in the future. I understand it is extremely competitive and also a lot of work. I am currently 25 and have two young children under 5 with a third on the way (will the possibility of a 4th in around 2 years.. we will see how we go) and I would like to be at home with my children until they are all of school age, or potentially at a pre-school which covers a lot of hours.Therefore it would be around 4-8 years before I would be looking at applying to do the Midwifery degree at university when I can commit more time to it but I was wondering what things I can do at the mean time, preferably from home that would help me progress to where I need to be? The few options I've looked at are either doing some A levels from home (biology and potentially psychology and sociology) or doing an access to midwifery course online. Although I'm not sure if it would be worth waiting until my youngest is at pre-school and do a face-to-face access course. Any advice?Is there any point doing A levels and the access course? Thank you in advance.

universities might want more recent study so going the access course a year before you want to attend is the best thing to do. you can get some relevant experience to midwifery before then though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending