The Student Room Group

is it alright to have a gap year?

i am in the first year of college and it has been around 5-6 months i believe, i have been constantly getting stressed on what i should study in uni but now it is mainly something to do on criminal aspects of everything and i was thinking potentially of studying forensic psychology and criminology but before that i want a gap year, there is this opportunity to go to china to work with college students and staffs for half a year and all expenses are free but does that mean i would have less chance of going to uni because i took a gap year? I am studying law,stats and psychology now
Original post by amymeizhenli
i am in the first year of college and it has been around 5-6 months i believe, i have been constantly getting stressed on what i should study in uni but now it is mainly something to do on criminal aspects of everything and i was thinking potentially of studying forensic psychology and criminology but before that i want a gap year, there is this opportunity to go to china to work with college students and staffs for half a year and all expenses are free but does that mean i would have less chance of going to uni because i took a gap year? I am studying law,stats and psychology now

It won’t damage your university chances, especially as you are actually doing something rather than sitting at home binging Netflix. Try to get your current college to agree to provide a reference for your gap year application or if you know what you want to do then apply and defer the place for a year. Try and do some kind of reading/ study / experience that is relevant to what you apply for.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by amymeizhenli

It would increase your chances significantly because you would (hopefully) gain a lot from working abroad.
Not at all! you apply through UCAS in 2nd year and have option to defer for a year, ie, take a gap year in your case. Lots of my mates have done this and have been fine with places.
thank you that makes me feel better in knowing your replies

Quick Reply

Latest