The Student Room Group

Deferred Application

I am applying with confirmed 2023 A Level grades for a 2025 place.

Birmingham told me that "If you are to receive an offer with the achieved A-Level grades for 2024, you will then need to request a deferral which will be reviewed by the admission officers. This deferral request may be successful depending on if grade requirements are altered for 2025, however we would not be able to advise as to whether this will occur at this stage".

I was under the impression you can in apply the coming weeks directly to 2025, and indeed this is what Southampton university told me.

Does it vary by university, or is one of the replies I recieved incorrect?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
The email is just from/about Birmingham - they are clearly a bit wary about entry requirements changing between the two years.

Its the first I've heard of this sort of attitude towards deferred places and achieved grades - it certainly isnt a 'standard policy' amongst all Unis.
Original post by McGinger
The email is just from/about Birmingham - they are clearly a bit wary about entry requirements changing between the two years.

Its the first I've heard of this sort of attitude towards deferred places and achieved grades - it certainly isnt a 'standard policy' amongst all Unis.

Alright, thanks. So generally if I apply this year and get in I should be recieving an unconditional offer for 2025 by May 2024? I'm applying with confirmed grades.
Original post by Nicholson1882
Alright, thanks. So generally if I apply this year and get in I should be recieving an unconditional offer for 2025 by May 2024? I'm applying with confirmed grades.

Subject to them verifying all the information they need, yes.
Original post by Admit-One
Subject to them verifying all the information they need, yes.

Got it, thank you. Do you think the Birmingham case was a bit of an outlier?
Got it, thank you. Do you think the Birmingham case was a bit of an outlier?

In my experience, yes, it would be.
In my experience, yes, it would be.

Great. Thank you! I just ask because I'll be on a pretty intense gap year programme, so it would be better to just send the application off and not have to do anything.
Great. Thank you! I just ask because I'll be on a pretty intense gap year programme, so it would be better to just send the application off and not have to do anything.

That makes complete sense. I would always recommend applying in the proceeding cycle for deferred entry, that way in a worst case you have the option of reapplying again the next time around. But with achieved grades it's more likely you'll know exactly where you stand with offers and can focus on your gap year.
That makes complete sense. I would always recommend applying in the proceeding cycle for deferred entry, that way in a worst case you have the option of reapplying again the next time around. But with achieved grades it's more likely you'll know exactly where you stand with offers and can focus on your gap year.

Wonderful, thank you very much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending