The Student Room Group

Changing degree course

I'm currently 1st year in Maths at university in England. I've done alright this year, and will likely get a good overall grade at the end, however it has been probably one of the worst years of my life. We haven't received very much support at all, and I've had around 4-5 hours sleep a night which has left me physically exhausted, let alone mentally. I'm thinking perhaps this will change next year, and things will improve... for context there's been a bunch of changes and we've been set questions where after they've been like sorry that was too difficult. However, I'm also thinking that maybe I should consider other courses, potentially for clearing. I have A levels of A*A*A* and I'm thinking maybe econ, potentially in scotland as my family lives there now (originally Scottish). I'm currently on a 4 year course with a year abroad so if I got a 2nd year entry I could finish in the same time, however I wouldn't be able to do 3 years for somewhere like Edinburgh or Glasgow as doesn't seem to be offered. I'm also concerned that if I restart this will look terrible on my CV.

I feel really like I can't win either way and so I'd really appreciate any advice that anyone has on whether I should stick or try and do something different. Thanks :smile:
I don't think a false start on one degree is going to make much difference long term.

Also one year in the context of a 40 year career is peanuts. Who cares if you graduate one year later than someone you went to school with? You'd be finishing at the same time as someone who took a gap year. Not to mention sooner than all the mature students and everyone who did more than one gap year. Literally a non-factor.

That said, it's worth assessing whether you're going to have similar challenges at a new uni. Without more information it's hard to gauge if the "lack of support" is an issue at your uni specifically or something else.
As above - is this actually 'the Uni' or is it something more personal.

It could be worth just taking a year out, then thinking about whether Uni is the right place for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending