The Student Room Group

Anxious mature student needing lots of advice!!

I really want to go to uni this year but I've been out of education since I left sixth form. I've done my A-Levels but I don't quite have the grades to meet the requirements for places I'm looking at. I'm wondering if it's worth doing an access course as I have already done my A-Levels and therefore I would have to pay for it but I'm not in the best financial position currently as I'm out of work injured!! Plus this would also add at least another year to my plans, plus I would have difficulty getting to the course as the closest one is at least an hour from me and I don't drive. Also, does anyone have any advice on combating uni anxiety? Every time I think I'm ready to move to the next step, my anxiety tries to push me right back again!
Reply 1
I think, just go for it. I was in this same position last year. I applied for uni and didn't get in because all my qualifications were vocational and therefore had no UCAS points attached. So I looked into and decided to enroll on the access course. It's one of the best things I've ever done. Not only really enjoyable but has done wonders for my confidence. I'm an expect at self doubt. I've applied for and got offers from 4 unis. As for finances, have gone down to part time at work, as have many of the other students because it really is a very full on course, and I still get financial help. Anxiety about uni, I know it's really scary but I just try and take it one step at a time. If you decide to go for the access course I'm assuming it starts in September so you don't have to worry about that for almost two years.
Original post by Jaccal
I really want to go to uni this year but I've been out of education since I left sixth form. I've done my A-Levels but I don't quite have the grades to meet the requirements for places I'm looking at. I'm wondering if it's worth doing an access course as I have already done my A-Levels and therefore I would have to pay for it but I'm not in the best financial position currently as I'm out of work injured!! Plus this would also add at least another year to my plans, plus I would have difficulty getting to the course as the closest one is at least an hour from me and I don't drive. Also, does anyone have any advice on combating uni anxiety? Every time I think I'm ready to move to the next step, my anxiety tries to push me right back again!

just to add to the excellent #2

1. What A level grades do you have and what grades does the uni want?
2. Access courses are done via advanaced learner loans and if yu complete your degree then it gets written off. Check about the position where you alrady have A levels.
3.Maybe the access course would give you confidence as per#2 but also refresh your study skills so you cna cope with the degree proper.

4. Anxiety? have as much right to be there as anyone else, helps if you cna cope with the work as above. Otherwise I think its not caring about what other people think except your tutors and you if you cna be objective.

Do get the anxiety sorted out if you have an issue, so it doesnt spoil uni. Its natural for mature students especially to be anxious and really self conscious because they have been out of the loop. people really dont care and as long as you work consistently plus have basci skills then you should be fine.

https://www.nopanic.org.uk/no-panic-youth-hub/

https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/get-help/
When did you do A-levels? Recently, or when you were in school originally? If it was the former, then you would likely need to do an Access to HE course or similar anyway, as most universities require evidence of recent academic studies (within the last three years typically).

Either way, I believe you should be able to be funded via an Advanced Learner Loan for an Access to HE course. If you go on to complete a degree after this, the Advanced Learner Loan gets written off as well. You can only be funded for one Access course via an Advanced Learner Loan however, so do check beforehand that the course you're considering (if you go that route) is acceptable for entry to the degree programmes you want to apply to (I would suggest directly contacting universities with full details of any access course including the course provider etc, to make sure). An extra year isn't much honestly, if you aren't in dire straits financially in the meantime.

As an alternative to an Access to HE course you could look at degrees with a foundation year - sometimes these cater for mature students who are a few years removed from their former studies, and may be more flexible on grades in view of this (realising old qualifications don't necessarily represent your current ability). You might need to sit a test or attend an interview for them to assess your preparation for such a course though. The science foundation year at Southampton when I was there certainly had several mature students who were several years on from their A-levels (or hadn't done them) and some of them hadn't done so well in them originally; they all did quite well as I recall and progressed to their degree of choice.

An hour commute is pretty hard, even if it's relatively straightforward (i.e. not many changes etc). Is it possible for you to move nearer the course provider? Alternately, you may want to get your drivers license first so you can be more in control of your commute.

Regarding anxiety, if you haven't already I would suggest speaking with your GP about it and your plans, they may be able to help advise. It would be better to wait until you are confident with the state of your mental health before embarking on a course, to make sure you can get as much out of it was you can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending