The Student Room Group

Final year

Hi, I am in Year 13, I have my economics exam coming up, what are some general tips and hints, that you have used yourself to get a better grade
Hi, I'm in Y13 and I've been developing a method of revision that's been getting me A*/A in essays and mocks (humblebrag lol)

For revision, I use the Edexcel endorsed textbook. I make notes directly from the textbook. Then, I cut out what I don't need. Then, I go to PhysicsAndMathsTutor (which has full notes for the course) and I take any extra useful information from there and put it on my notes. Finally, I'll convert it all into flashcards and revise it again and again. DO NOT bother doing mind maps, it's awful and you will spend far too long making it.

For multiple choice questions, just make sure you read it. If you go over the content well enough, they honestly shouldn't be difficult.

For the essay questions, I follow this model (I don't know if you do Edexcel, but honestly if you're doing OCR or AQA this is still pretty useful because there's not much difference):

DEFINITION
POINT
ANALYSIS [WITH A DIAGRAM AND APPLICATION TO REAL LIFE/EXTRACT]
CONSEQUENCE
EVALUATION OF THE POINT.

^ Let's call this 1 paragraph.

For each of the essay questions, I follow this routine.

5 MARKER:
1 paragraph without evaluation (Add 2-3 points of application from the source and make calculations if necessary.

8 MARKER:
2 paragraph but only 1 evaluation.

10 MARKER:
2 paragraphs

12 MARKER:
2 paragraphs (not much difference from the 10, maybe add 2 graphs?)

15 MARKER:
2 paragraphs and a conclusion.

25 MARKER:
Intro, 3 paragraphs, conclusion, 2 graphs.

Finally, get that extra knowledge going now. Even just picking up small facts like "Young people from parents who don't own their households are three times less likely to get on the property ladder before they're 30 compared to people whose parents do own their households." will benefit you greatly. A key thing to remember is that your examiner will be marking 100 of these papers, so if you flex on them and make your answer memorable (and correct of course) then you're gonna be getting all the marks.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
(edited 5 years ago)
Thank you, this is soo helpful, what universities have you applyed to and why?

(Original post by IIPolaroidII)Hi, I'm in Y13 and I've been developing a method of revision that's been getting me A*/A in essays and mocks (humblebrag lol)

For revision, I use the Edexcel endorsed textbook. I make notes directly from the textbook. Then, I cut out what I don't need. Then, I go to PhysicsAndMathsTutor (which has full notes for the course) and I take any extra useful information from there and put it on my notes. Finally, I'll convert it all into flashcards and revise it again and again. DO NOT bother doing mind maps, it's awful and you will spend far too long making it.

For multiple choice questions, just make sure you read it. If you go over the content well enough, they honestly shouldn't be difficult.

For the essay questions, I follow this model (I don't know if you do Edexcel, but honestly if you're doing OCR or AQA this is still pretty useful because there's not much difference):

DEFINITION
POINT
ANALYSIS [WITH A DIAGRAM AND APPLICATION TO REAL LIFE/EXTRACT]
CONSEQUENCE
EVALUATION OF THE POINT.

^ Let's call this 1 paragraph.

For each of the essay questions, I follow this routine.

5 MARKER:
1 paragraph without evaluation (Add 2-3 points of application from the source and make calculations if necessary.

8 MARKER:
2 paragraph but only 1 evaluation.

10 MARKER:
2 paragraphs

12 MARKER:
2 paragraphs (not much difference from the 10, maybe add 2 graphs?)

15 MARKER:
2 paragraphs and a conclusion.

25 MARKER:
Intro, 3 paragraphs, conclusion, 2 graphs.

Finally, get that extra knowledge going now. Even just picking up small facts like "Young people from parents who own their households are three times less likely to get on the property ladder before they're 30 compared to people whose parents do own their households." will benefit you greatly. A key thing to remember is that your examiner will be marking 100 of these papers, so if you flex on them and make your answer memorable (and correct of course) then you're gonna be getting all the marks.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions don't hesitate to a
I applied to Cambridge, KCL, York, Nottingham and Birmingham to do English. I got into all but Cambridge. I firmed KCL and put York as insurance.

Just picked them because they looked the most appealing in terms of their courses I guess. If you're considering economics, look into Warwick, LSE and Bristol (but all Russell Group universities + many more) are great for it. Of course, feel free to disregard this if you want to do something else. :smile:
That's amazing, then again Cambridge has always been quite hard to get into.

Quick Reply

Latest