The Student Room Group

Omgggggggggg uff

Has anyone ever wrote a qualitative data analysis( thematic analysis) and would love to help me start?
Any tips for me?
What is a theme?
Theme is basically the patterns w/in the data that you collected. Also, what is your research question? I could help you if you want as I have lots of free time right now.
Reply 2
Original post by scrollingdown
Theme is basically the patterns w/in the data that you collected. Also, what is your research question? I could help you if you want as I have lots of free time right now.

Omg yey thank you
I haven't started writing it up at all but my research question is ”how people talk about their experiences of anxiety”
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Omg yey thank you
I haven't started writing it up at all but my research question is ”how people talk about their experiences of anxiety”

Nah I lieddd
It's acc ”what is it like to experience anxiety”
Just to be clear here... You mean "anxiety disorders", right? 'Cuz we all experience anxiety. If so, what particular disorder? Or do you mean in general regardless of whatever it is in particular?
Reply 5
Original post by scrollingdown
Just to be clear here... You mean "anxiety disorders", right? 'Cuz we all experience anxiety. If so, what particular disorder? Or do you mean in general regardless of whatever it is in particular?

I think anxiety disorder since I study psychology
Reply 6
A theme is an idea which tells you what the data is about.

You first must read the data you have and highlight key points, then assign a descriptive label to it, also known as a 'code'. Codes can be anything but it's best to keep the descriptions brief and relevant to your study. Codes should give an overview on what you interpreted from that piece of highlighted data. You should go through all of your data to get a long list of codes.

You'll then start reducing the number of codes you have. You will notice that some codes will be related to each other so you can group them together into a new code. You'll keep doing this several times until you are able to identify themes within your codes. The themes are just higher level categories of codes.

Here's a step by step guide to help you.
https://sites.google.com/site/howtousethematicanalysis/home/how-to-use-thematic-analysis

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending