The Student Room Group

OCR Biology New A-level H420 Paper 1,2,3 (2019) Predictions + Exam Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Is this OCR B. I have never seen that question.
Original post by MediocreSince01
I've just been rattling through the past papers, until I find a topic where it's disastrous enough to warrant a large chunk of revision time - ie if I find a topic I can't do at all, I'll revise and then do some topic questions. I've also been making a list of little facts that seem to come up on past papers quite a bit which I could forget. Eg I've seen quite a few times a question where it asks "What does this information suggest about the nature of scientific knowledge" and the answer is always "Scientific knowledge is uncertain, and is constantly developing"
Original post by Samosa and Vada
Is this OCR B. I have never seen that question.

OCR A
I can see there being a big focus on immunity for paper 2 this year, considering last years paper had almost nothing on it (apart from 1 or two multiple choice), and its a big topic in module 4. It has potential to be a 6 marker too.
Reply 63
The heart and kidney haven't really come up yet over the 2017 and 2018 papers.
Original post by Bob7866

Yes and the muscle structure and process.
Original post by Dizgurl
I can see there being a big focus on immunity for paper 2 this year, considering last years paper had almost nothing on it (apart from 1 or two multiple choice), and its a big topic in module 4. It has potential to be a 6 marker too.

I agree.
Paper 1: There might be a practical about biology molecules and cell membrane. In cell membrane maybe about temperature and effects with graph/data given
Calculation about SA:V ratio. Make sure to remember cylinder/sphere formula. Cuboid is easy
Maybe a wordy question about coenzyme/cofactors. Or cell communication. Unknown (whatever name they give it to this molecule) molecule binding and triggering response. Basically realising cell signalling question.
Drawing a sarcomere? OCR loves to ask drawing question and there is actually a booklet created by OCR on how to draw. Haha I find this ridiculous.
Spirometer calculations: I will say revise this. I haven’t seen much of it in A2 Papers so likely.
Can we expect the explaining of the classic graph of the valves closing opening? Maybe for a 6 marker if they’re feeling nice.
I think easy liver question where you just have to fill gaps.
Paper 1: There might be a practical about biology molecules and cell membrane. In cell membrane maybe about temperature and effects with graph/data given
Calculation about SA:V ratio. Make sure to remember cylinder/sphere formula. Cuboid is easy
Maybe a wordy question about coenzyme/cofactors. Or cell communication. Unknown (whatever name they give it to this molecule) molecule binding and triggering response. Basically realising cell signalling question.
Drawing a sarcomere? OCR loves to ask drawing question and there is actually a booklet created by OCR on how to draw. Haha I find this ridiculous.
Spirometer calculations: I will say revise this. I haven’t seen much of it in A2 Papers so likely.
Can we expect the explaining of the classic graph of the valves closing opening? Maybe for a 6 marker if they’re feeling nice.

How did you figure this out?
How does everyone revise here?
Original post by Wooord
How did you figure this out?
May the 8th I think
Original post by Meduser
Does anyone know when the 2018 papers will be released for us to freely download?? My teachers still haven’t given them to us yet :/
it's too hard to predict what could come up, they definately have the option of reusing stuff from the past two papers too with just rewording. I guess the best thing to do is just what patterns there have been and kinda guess what would be in our paper. They seem to like asking about things like plant cloning and at least things like the krebs or calvin cycle? It's really hard coz they like the applied questions so much and OCR is so picky with wording and lack of detail as well smh.
Original post by Bob7866
Any predictions of what will come up?
Original post by Bob7866

There was quite a big chunk on the kidney in the unified paper 2018
(edited 5 years ago)

Totally agree. Could see a label this liver lobule question too. A 6 marker on the cardiac cycle would be lovely.
Is it just me who hates practical questions. I did the mock unified paper 2018 and I went in prepared for a plan an investigation question, but ocr was sneaky and put a 6 marker on how to improve an experiment.
Original post by MediocreSince01
Totally agree. Could see a label this liver lobule question too. A 6 marker on the cardiac cycle would be lovely.
Original post by lionike123
Is it just me who hates practical questions. I did the mock unified paper 2018 and I went in prepared for a plan an investigation question, but ocr was sneaky and put a 6 marker on how to improve an experiment.

It was a very similar question to the 2017 paper so I was pretty happy with that question to be honest. Really wasn’t a fan of the unified paper, did it a few days ago, and it went atrociously.
Original post by Dizgurl

I second that, it's the f*cking hardest part as well
Can someone explain the specific immune system ( T cells and B cells) like everything we need to know.
Original post by J_valentien11
I second that, it's the f*cking hardest part as well
Reply 77
Go through the spec
Original post by lionike123
Can someone explain the specific immune system ( T cells and B cells) like everything we need to know.
ironically, they are not specific enough.
Original post by Bob7866
Go through the spec
Anyone that does AQA biology? Any predictions for that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending