The Student Room Group

Choosing USA Advanced Placement courses for U.K. universities.

I'm a Brit, living in France, who is moving to the US after finshing my GCSEs in June. I'm currently choosing which AP courses to take. I am hoping to be able to get into a very good university, such as Cambridge or Imperial, in Natural Sciences. After looking at the AP courses offered by the school, I have concluded that I need to take 5 each year. These would include -

French (1)

Physics C - Electricity and Magnetism

Physics C - Mechanics

Calculus BC

Chemistry

Computer Science Principles

Physics Algebra Based 1 (1)

Computer Science A (1)

Physics Algebra Based 2 (1)

Statistics (1)

What are your opinions on these choices? Are all my assumptions correct? and are there any reccomendations for which order to take the courses in? I am currently considering first taking the subjects marked (1).
Original post by samofcoding

What are your opinions on these choices? Are all my assumptions correct? and are there any reccomendations for which order to take the courses in? I am currently considering first taking the subjects marked (1).

To a lay person that seems like a sound set of AP choices for a physical natural sciences programme. I would suggest, though, that you contact an admissions tutor at a Cambridge college, as well as Imperial College London. Run that list passed them, and ask them if they think that would be an acceptable to them.

I'm not sure about courseload in a US high school programme; that seems to be rather a lot of AP courses. Would you hope to do regular Junior and Senior credits alongside the Advanced Placement classes?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending