The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level History Source Questions?! A*/A History students?

Hi all,

If anyone got an A/A* in Edexcel A Level History or is currently studying it and is getting top marks on the source questions I would be SO grateful if you could share with me the technique/structure you are using.

I kind of know the paper 3 one but I'm lost for 1 and 2. I'm doing the Russia, GDR and British warfare topics, but obviously it doesn't matter too much what the modules are for structure.

Our teachers are not good and we have not been given a set structure.

Thank you!
Original post by heididdo
Hi all,

If anyone got an A/A* in Edexcel A Level History or is currently studying it and is getting top marks on the source questions I would be SO grateful if you could share with me the technique/structure you are using.

I kind of know the paper 3 one but I'm lost for 1 and 2. I'm doing the Russia, GDR and British warfare topics, but obviously it doesn't matter too much what the modules are for structure.

Our teachers are not good and we have not been given a set structure.

Thank you!

Hey, you've come to the right place. Starter for 10 - you say you've not been given a set structure? Shout if this is old news, but I'd usually say start here: https://bc6f.org.uk/attachments/article/111/PEEL%20Your%20Essays%20to%20Answer%20the%20Question%20Well.pdf
If this isn't what you're looking for let us know.
Reply 2
Original post by EssayDoctor
Hey, you've come to the right place. Starter for 10 - you say you've not been given a set structure? Shout if this is old news, but I'd usually say start here: https://bc6f.org.uk/attachments/article/111/PEEL%20Your%20Essays%20to%20Answer%20the%20Question%20Well.pdf
If this isn't what you're looking for let us know.

PEEL can be used for the knowledge questions but there are specific ways to answer the source questions with specific things that need to be addressed as far as I know, I just don't know what they are and how to structure them in an essay, so in essense no, not really what i need, but thanks anyway :smile:
Original post by heididdo
PEEL can be used for the knowledge questions but there are specific ways to answer the source questions with specific things that need to be addressed as far as I know, I just don't know what they are and how to structure them in an essay, so in essense no, not really what i need, but thanks anyway :smile:

No problem. I'll pop you another link - maybe it will be useful https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5751954.
Also, try messaging LeapingLucy on here. They clearly know their stuff.
PEEL is not enough for an A*.

You need to link between factors as well as back to the question.

For source questions, it depends on how many sources and how many enquiries in the question. Despite this, the general approach should be:
Point
Source - quote
Explanation - Contextualise source and its significance to the enquiry.
Judgement - How this answers the question

Hope this helps.

If anyone can think of anything better please say...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending