The Student Room Group

Transferring from foundation year course

After receiving lower grades than I had anticipated in my A levels, I had to resort to start a foundation year for Economics BSc at the University of Surrey.

Whilst the course and everything seems good and I would like to continue with an Economics degree in the future, I would now like to explore the option of transferring universities to an institution of a similar/better calibre next year, as I feel like I am not quite fitting in and would like to reside in a big city.

I realise that people are able to use just their marks from the foundation year in order to transfer, but I was wondering whether it is too late in the academic year for the option to transfer now.

Are there any available options for me, or am I stuck in my current situation?
Original post by Zebra1234
After receiving lower grades than I had anticipated in my A levels, I had to resort to start a foundation year for Economics BSc at the University of Surrey.

Whilst the course and everything seems good and I would like to continue with an Economics degree in the future, I would now like to explore the option of transferring universities to an institution of a similar/better calibre next year, as I feel like I am not quite fitting in and would like to reside in a big city.

I realise that people are able to use just their marks from the foundation year in order to transfer, but I was wondering whether it is too late in the academic year for the option to transfer now.

Are there any available options for me, or am I stuck in my current situation?

You mean transfer halfway through the year or apply for 2019 transfers?

Transfer halfway through your foundation wouldnt make sense as you dont have any exam results.
For 2019 possible but deadline closed so you need to ring the uni and see if they are still accepting. Higher up they may be full.

I would have just resat a levels, the easiest and cheapest option.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
You mean transfer halfway through the year or apply for 2019 transfers?

Transfer halfway through your foundation wouldnt make sense as you dont have any exam results.
For 2019 possible but deadline closed so you need to ring the uni and see if they are still accepting. Higher up they may be full.

I would have just resat a levels, the easiest and cheapest option.

Not halfway through the foundation year, but for first year with my results from this year. Through clearing perhaps, if that is an option at all.
Not halfway through the foundation year, but for first year with my results from this year. Through clearing perhaps, if that is an option at all.

So for 2019. You can try now, but you are past the deadline and have no results. You might be left with clearing.
Reply 4
So for 2019. You can try now, but you are past the deadline and have no results. You might be left with clearing.

Ok so clearing may be an option, do I need to create a new UCAS for that?
Ok so clearing may be an option, do I need to create a new UCAS for that?

I believe its just a fresh application for this cycle 2019/20. the problem is you have no results, although you wouldnt have anything to lose to try for courses now.
Reply 6
I believe its just a fresh application for this cycle 2019/20. the problem is you have no results, although you wouldnt have anything to lose to try for courses now.

Ok so it would probably be better to get my results first for this year then start opening a UCAS account after that?
Ok so it would probably be better to get my results first for this year then start opening a UCAS account after that?

You might as well get registered as you then have your 5 choices and you cant use clearing without an account.
Find a course and then talk to admissions before applying. If you have no results you are applying with the lower A levels that got you on this course. It helps of you have some results? Some courses might not have exams till the end of the year others are spread.
Reply 8
You might as well get registered as you then have your 5 choices and you cant use clearing without an account.
Find a course and then talk to admissions before applying. If you have no results you are applying with the lower A levels that got you on this course. It helps of you have some results? Some courses might not have exams till the end of the year others are spread.

So as long as I get my results and restart my UCAS account before clearing I may have options?
So as long as I get my results and restart my UCAS account before clearing I may have options?

1. You can apply now, but your results are as they were last year. You have the same 5 choices.
2. If you already have results and they are good that might make you more attractive. Some people have partial results and can get their new place already just like people applying with predicted grades. If you have good predicted grades made by a referee you can certainly try. That would be a lecturer at the uni.
3. If you have an account up and running when you get your results, then you wont have a delay to start using clearing.
4. If you do not have an account at the time you get your results, then you will have to open one and the time it takes could see some relevant course be filled up.
5. Do some research on your target grades, and the unis you wish to transfer into, then contact admissions and check they might be interested.

There are hundreds of course in clearing. better your grades the more choice you will have.

Apply now with a reference from your current course and a predicted result from your reference. It’s exactly the same as applying with your a level results pending - the only issue is that the courses you want to apply to may be closed so you need to ring them up on Monday to ask if they are accepting late applications for someone in your situation.

Have a read of the Transfer FAQ thread at the top of the applications, clearing and ucas forum. The first post explains what you need to do and think about.
By swapping from a foundation year to a course with no foundation then SFE would count that as using your gift year of funding - so you need to be confident about the move (if you need to restart or resit a year then you won’t get a tuition fee loan for the extra year).
Reply 11
@PQ @999tigger

Ok think I have got it, thank you for your time and informative answers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending