The Student Room Group

foundation years??

does ucl only offer foundation years for international students? and is it possible for me to do foundation year in one uni but transfer to another for my actual degree?
Original post by mosthated
does ucl only offer foundation years for international students? and is it possible for me to do foundation year in one uni but transfer to another for my actual degree?

A foundation year is very rarely the best option. They’re not recognised qualifications so there’s no guarantee that they will be accepted by another university.

In almost all cases taking or retaking level 3 qualifications is a better option
Reply 2
I'm not sure about UCL, but many universities offer foundation programs. I did one at the University of Nottingham and I felt it greatly benefitted me, moreso that perhaps A Levels might have done. I think this is because it's hugely tailored to the courses you're going to be going on to.

I did know of some people who did the foundation year then moved to a different university, but often they will require higher marks.

For instance, I progressed onto Chemistry. For Nottingham, because it was their foundation course, I needed 60% in Chemistry, and 60% overall. Whereas, for a different uni, it's common for them to need something like 80% (Because they have no control over the curriculum).
As @PQ has said foundation years are specific to that universities. Unlike A levels and BTECs they are not national qualifications and are for the use in the university they are taken it. They are not meant for transfers and will rarely be accepted for that purpose and arent accepted for upgrades.

Where they are accepted you still normally have to meet the entry requirements in the new university ie A level grades. Transfer to somewhere as prestigious as UCL wont happen unless there is a specific agreement in place.

In addition, they class as a bonus years funding so if you change your mind at the new university and want to go elsewhere you will need to self fund your first year.

For these reasons A levels are nearly always more beneficial than a foundation year. Sometimes where you dont have a required A level foundation years might be useful but if you are using one you can expect to go onto the main degree in that establishment not transferring elsewhere
Reply 4
Original post by PQ

A foundation year is very rarely the best option. They’re not recognised qualifications so there’s no guarantee that they will be accepted by another university.

In almost all cases taking or retaking level 3 qualifications is a better option

i’m not too big on taking a foundation year, but i’m not sure what else to do because i want to do neuroscience but i’m only taking chem and none of the other required subjects (more specifically bio)
Reply 5
Original post by dbhc2411
I'm not sure about UCL, but many universities offer foundation programs. I did one at the University of Nottingham and I felt it greatly benefitted me, moreso that perhaps A Levels might have done. I think this is because it's hugely tailored to the courses you're going to be going on to.

I did know of some people who did the foundation year then moved to a different university, but often they will require higher marks.

For instance, I progressed onto Chemistry. For Nottingham, because it was their foundation course, I needed 60% in Chemistry, and 60% overall. Whereas, for a different uni, it's common for them to need something like 80% (Because they have no control over the curriculum).

i see, thanks for replying.
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
As @PQ has said foundation years are specific to that universities. Unlike A levels and BTECs they are not national qualifications and are for the use in the university they are taken it. They are not meant for transfers and will rarely be accepted for that purpose and arent accepted for upgrades.

Where they are accepted you still normally have to meet the entry requirements in the new university ie A level grades. Transfer to somewhere as prestigious as UCL wont happen unless there is a specific agreement in place.

In addition, they class as a bonus years funding so if you change your mind at the new university and want to go elsewhere you will need to self fund your first year.

For these reasons A levels are nearly always more beneficial than a foundation year. Sometimes where you dont have a required A level foundation years might be useful but if you are using one you can expect to go onto the main degree in that establishment not transferring elsewhere

what do you think i should do, other than a foundation year, if i don’t have a required a level for the course i want to do?
what do you think i should do, other than a foundation year, if i don’t have a required a level for the course i want to do?

Take the required A level(s) during a gap year
If you take a foundation year you can pretty much assume you wont get a transfer to UCL. Your choices are to retake A levels to achieve the required standard or take a foundation year elsewhere and complete your course there. Dependent on how far you are from meeting UCLs requirements you might have to face reality that you are not going to get in there.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ

Take the required A level(s) during a gap year

how do i do that - do i continue studying in school? or is it an independent thing where is study at home?
how do i do that - do i continue studying in school? or is it an independent thing where is study at home?

Speak to your school if you like it there. Alternatively talk to local fe colleges/adult education centres. I would avoid private centres until you have exhausted the alternatives
Reply 11
Original post by PQ

Speak to your school if you like it there. Alternatively talk to local fe colleges/adult education centres. I would avoid private centres until you have exhausted the alternatives

alright, thank you so much.
Reply 12
Original post by PQ

also want to ask, would the grades of my current a levels matter to uni’s if they’re not required subjects? ie for neuroscience i can’t imagine my eng lit grade would mean much, and assuming my chem and bio grades are good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending