The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Girlfriends parents aren't giving her any money towards living

My girlfriends parents aren't giving her any money towards living this year, and because of how much they earn she's receiving the minimum maintenance loan. I know the idea is they're supposed to help her, but they aren't giving her anything, up until this month her mum had given her a little bit to help out. Is there any help she can get with her funding?

She's got either lectures or seminars on every day of the week, and on most weekends she's busy doing coursework and that sort of thing for hours, so getting a job would be difficult
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Job
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
Original post by sean.walsh747
My girlfriends parents aren't giving her any money towards living this year, and because of how much they earn she's receiving the minimum maintenance loan. I know the idea is they're supposed to help her, but they aren't giving her anything, up until this month her mum had given her a little bit to help out. Is there any help she can get with her funding?

She's got either lectures or seminars on every day of the week, and on most weekends she's busy doing coursework and that sort of thing for hours, so getting a job would be difficult

Unfortunately there is little that can be done, they are only 'expected' to pay, it is not mandatory. Have her talk to her universities' finance support, they'd be able to sort something out.

Has she known about this? How was she expecting to fund herself?
Job. She could try the hardship fund.

Alternative suspend studies , get a job and continue next year.
Reply 4
Original post by Lida2
Job

Earth-shattering insight—and without even having read the OP, to boot. Have you perchance a newsletter we can subscribe to, or are such precision-guided missives of worldly wisdom only available on a consultancy basis?
Reply 5
I was in exactly the same boat, luckily university was only monday-thursday. I worked 12 hour shifts friday, saturday and sunday throughout my three years. Yes, I usually skived monday because I was so tired.... I still came out with a first-class honours. It's unfair, but unfortunately its going to be harder for her, but if its something you are determined to do it can be done. My older sister before me was in the same boat and my younger sister is doing exactly the same now. It looks good on your CV and shows work ethic, time management skills etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending