The Student Room Group

I can't Explain (This is stopping me from getting a grade 4)

Hello recently it has got to me because I really would love to get a grade 4 but when it comes to an exam question in my mocks and everywhere and it asks explain ... I just don't know how to do it and its really annoying because it bugs me because I want to know how to do it but yh. If someone could help me to do it then this would be great.
Reply 1
Is it English lit or lang or something else?
mainly english lit and lang. if you need something to work on its in poetry (conflict) or a christmas carol
Reply 3
Original post by TheLostHDPenguin
mainly english lit and lang. if you need something to work on its in poetry (conflict) or a christmas carol

I'll guide you in the poetry (conflict) part, but you should try applying my tips and learning from them, in order to earn that grade you want to get.
Ok thank you. :smile:
Original post by gtty123
I'll guide you in the poetry (conflict) part, but you should try applying my tips and learning from them, in order to earn that grade you want to get.
Reply 5
Ok thank you. :smile:

So, what don't you understand about the "explain" questions?
IDK basically when my teacher asks me he says explain why it is because he says I always describe it but don't really explain it but I just don't know what he means when he explains it. If this makes sense :/
Original post by gtty123
So, what don't you understand about the "explain" questions?
Reply 7
IDK basically when my teacher asks me he says explain why it is because he says I always describe it but don't really explain it but I just don't know what he means when he explains it. If this makes sense :/

Okay, a good base to start off at is when you come across an "explain" question try the following tips I am about to provide:
1) Identify the MAIN POINT of the question ie what is it specifically asking you.
2) Once you have identified point 1, try to use the PEA structure ie point, evidence and analysis.
3) If you describe it well, stick with that, but when you have to explain it, it is referring to why the writer has done that whilst referring to relevant methods etc. Ie if they have used a metaphor, why have they used it? Also giving evidence to support your point is useful.
Reply 8

So with every paragraph you write in English, you start it off with an argument, or a point. Something you've noticed about the poem/passage. As a random example, something like "Shakespeare presents Shylock sympathetically" (although in an exam you should use slightly more flowery language than that lol). That's something you infer, from reading, and it's not what is literally spelled out in the text.

The next logical step is, how is that so? and why?
That's what is really meant by "explain". Back yourself up, show that you know what you're talking about.

The difference between explaining your answer, and simply describing the source, is just a few well-placed key words. Have a look at the answers written by people achieving top grades in your class.
Reply 9
Original post by Sinnoh
So with every paragraph you write in English, you start it off with an argument, or a point. Something you've noticed about the poem/passage. As a random example, something like "Shakespeare presents Shylock sympathetically" (although in an exam you should use slightly more flowery language than that lol). That's something you infer, from reading, and it's not what is literally spelled out in the text.

That's what is really meant by "explain". Back yourself up, show that you know what you're talking about.

The difference between explaining your answer, and simply describing the source, is just a few well-placed key words. Have a look at the answers written by people achieving top grades in your class.

Also, this. I agree with these points Sinnoh has put forward.
Thank you very much for this help this has helped me alot honestly it has helped. thank you very much :smile:
Original post by gtty123
Okay, a good base to start off at is when you come across an "explain" question try the following tips I am about to provide:
1) Identify the MAIN POINT of the question ie what is it specifically asking you.
2) Once you have identified point 1, try to use the PEA structure ie point, evidence and analysis.
3) If you describe it well, stick with that, but when you have to explain it, it is referring to why the writer has done that whilst referring to relevant methods etc. Ie if they have used a metaphor, why have they used it? Also giving evidence to support your point is useful.

Original post by Sinnoh

So I don't know what books you're doing for your English exam but a perfect example is one of the plays I'm studying, DNA. In DNA there's always a question on morality which is a key question for explaining. For example 'Explain how Dennis Kelly presents bullies in the play DNA.' For this question, I'd use the P-E-A-AL technique: Point, evidence, analyse and analyse language. Using this method should help you explain in the 'Analyse' part, as you're most likely making developed points and describing what you mean, just not explaining your reasoning for saying your points. I hope I've helped, if there's anything else I can do or you don't understand what I've just said, just let me know!
Hello recently it has got to me because I really would love to get a grade 4 but when it comes to an exam question in my mocks and everywhere and it asks explain ... I just don't know how to do it and its really annoying because it bugs me because I want to know how to do it but yh. If someone could help me to do it then this would be great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending